Ditching the daypack

KsRancher

WKR
Put in for a 1st season Co elk tag this year. I should easily draw with the points I have. I will be going this one solo. I was thinking about turning my main pack into my daypack. I am planning on hunting out of the truck. The farthest I think I will end up from the truck will be 3 miles. Most of the time 1 mile or under. My thought process was that if I shot an elk that I would already have my pack there to haul out a full load of meat. Anyone else do this? Or does this sound like a bad idea?

prm

WKR
That’s what I would do. Wearing a Kifaru Stryker is no worse than a day pack. Then it hauls a load great!

2ski

WKR
There's a lot of people here that do that. I have a DT2 that's way overkill for a daypack, but it compresses down, and is pretty lightweight.

I hunt with a 5000 cubic inch pack and it doesn’t leave my side no matter how far I’m going from the truck elk hunting. Processing an elk is enough work without having to go back to the truck to get your pack. You never know where a bugle is going to take you. Or the “whats over the next ridge” urge. Not to mention as soon as a bull hits a ground in September the clock is running to get that meat on the cooler.

Yes, I always elk hunt with a ES F1 frame and attached self rigged cheap pack to carry kill kit and other essentials. Always prepared for success and can haul out first load! Or More!

Attachments

• IMG_3499.JPG
    IMG_3499.JPG
    189.6 KB · Views: 88

xziang

WKR
I also use a large ci pack which I use for day hunts too. 90% of the packs can synch down pretty compact now a days too. This way you will not be moving stuff from one back to another and possibly forget an item. Just keep tent food etc. Thst you would use for a 2 day ovrr night in a stuff sack so it is easy to add or remove.

That's what I do. Seek Outside Fortress 4800 with a lid and talon. The bag is almost empty most days and I just have stuff packed into the other pockets. I've been tempted to find a smaller bag to put on my frame

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm pretty sure most people do that. I don't.........but most do. I'll hunt sometimes 22+ days during archery season, and I'd rather be carrying my daypack around for that long and have to make one extra trip to get my frame pack, than wearing my frame pack all season. I hardly even notice my daypack on my back, but I always know when I'm wearing my frame pack.

4rcgoat

WKR
I run an older Myself Ranch Metcalf which straps down tight and compact, but opens up considerably to carry loads. There is a couple items that NEVER leave that pack,my "kill kit" which has first aid,water purification, knives, headlight, game bags.....etc. and my Kifaru sheeptarp!

j33

WKR
Some packs are lighter than day packs. The Kuiu Pro LT 4000 is 4 oz lighter than Kuiu Pro 1850 (same frame & suspension).

That's what I do. Seek Outside Fortress 4800 with a lid and talon. The bag is almost empty most days and I just have stuff packed into the other pockets. I've been tempted to find a smaller bag to put on my frame

I also have a Fortress 4800. Last trip I ran just my frame and Merlin talon with basically just day stuff. I have entertained taking my main bag. To be able to stay out. @Southforkguy do you find the main bag noisy carry thru the day? How do you manage the crinkle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The trouble with bigger packs is most people tend to fill em up with unnecessary shit
Eh, once or twice of that and you don’t do that again 😂. I have a kifaru reckoning and the only time it’s ever close to full is when something dies. Even on 3-4 day trips I’m able to leave some room.

Randle

WKR
The MR pop up is what I ended up liking the best. I rarely do any multiday trips requiring more than the 28 and a dry bag. I north idaho a full frame just hangs up too much for my liking when the chasing starts.

edwal

FNG
I love my Mystery Ranch Mule. Perfect size for day pack ( limits unneeded items) and a load hauler frame built in!