Dived in.....

Ray

WKR
Found a longhunter guide G2 for sale locally. Complete with bear blood stains.

Now I just need to fine tune the straps to fit my midget self compared to the prior owner. Headed to the YouTube...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364708992.486885.jpg

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
Great pack! I'm betting that you will really like the suspension system and, the bear blood stains just add character.

OP
Ray

Ray

WKR
Was it olive with accessories?

It is OD or foliage green. Has the full camo/orange fleece set and a hand warmer. Rain cover, gun cover, gun bearer, and chair/shelf were all included.

A young guy working up on the slope sold it so that he could upgrade to a newer one.

Last edited:
OP
Ray

Ray

WKR
If you have any questions, feel free to call today (or anytime).

720-937-1418

Aron, I used the videos to make the basic adjustments to get the shoulder straps moved and everything looks good for now. As I get more weight in the pack for training I will fine tune it.

The one thing that thru me off was that the gun bearer had pulled the ladder lock down on the shoulder strap - no longer centered between the stitching. After catching that issue with the alignment it was pretty simple to get it set up.

Thanks for your offer, and if I run into ant issues I'll give you a shout.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congrats Ray, and welcome to the madness :) I am so excited for you, and can't wait to hear all aout your trip in the yellow plane in August!

OP
Ray

Ray

WKR
Maybe I am doing this wrong. For training and what not I secure a 50 pound bag of concrete mix into the mid point of a pack directly against the back panel. For my old camptrails/kelty frame pack it is pretty comfortable. For a borrowed Barney's this is a "what bag of concrete?" walk in the park. My old Frost fire II its mildly uncomfortable with pressure in my lower back.

On the LH G2 I have an old sleeping bag in the bottom, and then another old bag stuffed around the concrete to hold it tight against the back panel. Then cinched all the straps down as tight as I can get them. Mount the pack up and once all the straps are secured the lumbar bad is trying to force my spine through my stomach. The shoulder harness system feels pretty good. The weight has pulled the two ladder bars up above my clavicle so I still need to adjust the shoulder straps some more.

I repositioned the concrete higher by getting half the sleeping bag under it - the concrete was resting on the divider panel - and that improved the pressure on the lower back. However, it still was not comfortable.

I do not know what kind of stays this pack has. I am wondering if the lower stay sections need to be straighten to get the pressure off my lumbar area. I have never really enjoyed lumbar pads on my packs. My upper back is curved and my lower back is rather straight.

The biggest issue with this pack is me. I am still "squishy" from being morbidly obese a year ago. About 30 pounds to go. It makes it hard to tighten up the waist belt since there is too much "give" in what I am trying to tighten it against. I know that after walking for a few feet it slips down my back a little but then stays put. I still need to adjust the straps to get the ladder locks further down to my clavicle.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Maybe I am doing this wrong. For training and what not I secure a 50 pound bag of concrete mix into the mid point of a pack directly against the back panel. For my old camptrails/kelty frame pack it is pretty comfortable. For a borrowed Barney's this is a "what bag of concrete?" walk in the park. My old Frost fire II its mildly uncomfortable with pressure in my lower back.

On the LH G2 I have an old sleeping bag in the bottom, and then another old bag stuffed around the concrete to hold it tight against the back panel. Then cinched all the straps down as tight as I can get them. Mount the pack up and once all the straps are secured the lumbar bad is trying to force my spine through my stomach. The shoulder harness system feels pretty good. The weight has pulled the two ladder bars up above my clavicle so I still need to adjust the shoulder straps some more.

I repositioned the concrete higher by getting half the sleeping bag under it - the concrete was resting on the divider panel - and that improved the pressure on the lower back. However, it still was not comfortable.

I do not know what kind of stays this pack has. I am wondering if the lower stay sections need to be straighten to get the pressure off my lumbar area. I have never really enjoyed lumbar pads on my packs. My upper back is curved and my lower back is rather straight.

The biggest issue with this pack is me. I am still "squishy" from being morbidly obese a year ago. About 30 pounds to go. It makes it hard to tighten up the waist belt since there is too much "give" in what I am trying to tighten it against. I know that after walking for a few feet it slips down my back a little but then stays put. I still need to adjust the straps to get the ladder locks further down to my clavicle.

Sounds like you have the wrong bend in the stays.

OP
Ray

Ray

WKR
It has aluminium stays.

I found that part of the problem was that the load lifters were routed under the pick up strap for the pack bag. When loaded the pick up strap caused the load lifters to flatten out preventing them from doing their task. For the next shoulder strap adjust I rerouted the load lifters over the top of the bag pickup strap, and moved their ladder lock as far up as they will go.

Once back on my back this improved the feeling on my lower back since I could now get the load lifters performing the way they should be. Still a lot of pressure, but not crushing like it was when I first started.

OP
Ray

Ray

WKR
Hmmm, I think I found my problem. I could not get the belt to get tight. Every time I pulled down it would cinch in and then pop back out. The right side would cinch down and stay most the time, but not the left side.

I have a HPG prairie belt from my failed DD T-1 experiment. I swapped that for the Belt on the K frame and that made all the difference. It stays tight and comfy with no more pressure on the lumbar.

More time will tell.... And a call to Aron this week.

jherald

WKR
Ray, i was going to meet that guy and try the pack out. Looks like you beat me to it! So, i sprang for a DT1 instead.