Diving in head first

mitschkeb

FNG
My hunting buddy and I are heading out on Sept 7, unit 18 ridgetop moose drop hunt. This will be our first public land Backcountry hunt, diving in head first.
I would like to thank everyone who has posted tips on here, we have read almost every moose thread the last couple years trying to put it all together really has made it doable. Alot of good info if anybody has some more tips on ridgetop hunts it would be much appreciated.
Coming from Texas going to be a whole different type of hunting.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

That’s great man! I can’t wait to read all about it. My father, uncle and I are headed out next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Good luck to you sir!

It's that time of year for sure...lots of self-reflection and lists, e.g., have I forgotten anything; where am I at on weight?

I've been very busy for weeks, staging and packing my own gear to ship to Bethel real soon. I will be gone for pretty much the entire month of September.

Be safe and have fun! It will be an adventure!

mooster

WKR
good luck! this is my ambition for 2020, so I'll be following intently!

mcseal2

WKR
Good luck. We were in a swamp not a ridge so can't help a lot there. I posted most of the tips I could think of in my thread. Biggest tip is remember you have to pack the moose back to where the plane can land from wherever you shoot it! Pick your battles and try to make the moose come to you.

RedRidge

WKR
When I was out typically the bulls were coming from the ridges down in the mornings and then would move back in the afternoon. Look for any pinch points with good concealment that lead down to any "lower" ground. Of course I have only been once, but thats what I observed.

Definitely consider how far you have to pack it. Pending the distance and packs available it can take up more time than you think.

Good luck!

OP
M

mitschkeb

FNG
Good luck to you sir!

It's that time of year for sure...lots of self-reflection and lists, e.g., have I forgotten anything; where am I at on weight?

I've been very busy for weeks, staging and packing my own gear to ship to Bethel real soon. I will be gone for pretty much the entire month of September.

Be safe and have fun! It will be an adventure!
The gear list for a hunt like this is definitely extensive . We have went over it to many times to count one more time and it's packed for the trip . Did you book flight home or planning to book when your ready, we took off the month as well so just booked one way . The uselessness at work has set in hard.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
The gear list for a hunt like this is definitely extensive . We have went over it to many times to count one more time and it's packed for the trip . Did you book flight home or planning to book when your ready, we took off the month as well so just booked one way . The uselessness at work has set in hard.

I hear you loud and clear sir...there is something about this time of year that definitely resonates in our psyche.

Regarding your questions...I have already booked my roundtrip airfare to/from ANC to/from Bethel x 2. I live in ANC, so this is part of my every fall life for over thirty years up here. I absolutely love it, and I never take one moment for granted. As a resident, I pay the extra price to fly out to remote areas for a remote experience...exactly what I seek! My son and I are going on a 10-day remote, 100 mile fly-fishing pack-raft float, and grizzly bear hunt, and then a 14 day moose hunt.

You are going to have an absolutely wonderful adventure sir. You've already gotten some excellent advice from mcseal2 regarding stopping to think about the reality of humping the meat for a bull back to camp. It is a...um....a chore for sure!

Have a great time sir!

Been hotter and wetter than ever before out there this year....meat care will be a challenge, streams and rivers more dangerous. Take er nice and easy, when in doubt play it safe, and keep that meat bone dry as possible... (y)

OP
M

mitschkeb

FNG
67 and 67.5 did way better then hoped for
a1b5b32e387f7a2a8f54c0d7149d79ce.jpg
5c984b4d3eb3c7b2774da22fbdb041e3.jpg
f892015278083abbf785e51009a6cf98.jpg

Holy smokes you guys killed it! Congrats on some monster bulls! I can’t wait to read the write up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

mitschkeb

FNG
Soon as I get a chance I will do a full recap had its ups and downs but had a blast