DIY 10oz rock solid tripod.

J Batt

WKR
Just returned from a backcountry hunt in 95F weather. In those conditions every extra pound is a strong deterrent from me getting anything done between 10am-5pm. I have been scheming of ways to buy or make a tripod that is minuscule in weight but also does all the things that I want a tripod to do (Like be sturdy, adjustable, and double as a rifle rest). I started by lashing trekking poles together which was not great. Further inspired by some DIY tripod ideas on Backpackinglight.com, I honed a viable option.
If you have and use trekking poles I think this is one of the best options to save weight. Here is my take and it only costs me $50 besides the gear I already had.
I used a Neewer Table top tripod stand, and the lower sections from three "Telescoping" Trekking Poles (The pole section that gets inserted into the tripod should be around 14mm, if using the same tripod...).
I am using sections from two Leki Legacy poles (14mm), and one Gossamer gear pole (14.4mm).
I disconnected the bottom three leg sections from the Neewer tripod. And disconnected the lower sections of my trekking poles from their handle sections. Then insert the lower trekking pole sections into the tripod.
(If the pole sections fit loosely in your tripod, you can remedy by pinching the ends of the tripod tubes, so that the trekking poles fit more snug.)

Min and Max height will be about 6-36". For more height you can use a fully assembled trekking pole with the tip inserted into the tripod and get as high as 56".
The modified Neewer Tripod alone with no trekking pole sections attached weighs 10oz.
The entire package Weighs 1lbs 5oz (Not including two of the trekking poles that I would bring regardless) Includes Newer Tripod Stand, Sirui b00 mini ballhead, Outdoorsman binocular adapter, an extra Trekking pole lower sections.
I was previously using a Slik 634 (2 lbs 10oz with ballhead attached), and will be saving 1lbs 5oz with my new setup. It is exactly half the weight of my previous tripod setup.

IMG_0166.jpgIMG_0167.jpgIMG_0168.jpgIMG_0174.jpg6DC449FC-5680-4A5C-B441-692DE1A73C07.jpeg

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
Clever idea....though I'm not sure its worth the pound savings for the lack of adjustability to me.

So that I have this right, you used this? or was it the mini?
Neewer tripod

The poles you used is 14.4 and 14mm, what do you figure is the exact dimension that fits inside of this?

_____

JakeSCH

WKR
Lol I would just buy the GTP III but saving weight is always a good thing.

** EDIT ** wouldn't you only be saving 11 oz (32 oz - 21 oz)? The only reason I ask is because I have been looking at the tricer and wondering if my weight savings math is messed up. :ROFLMAO:

I like seeing things like this. However, my concern would be what happens if a trekking pole gets snapped or lost/forgotten? Then you'd be hosed from a glassing perspective.

OP
J Batt

J Batt

WKR
Lol I would just buy the GTP III but saving weight is always a good thing.

** EDIT ** wouldn't you only be saving 11 oz (32 oz - 21 oz)? The only reason I ask is because I have been looking at the tricer and wondering if my weight savings math is messed up. :ROFLMAO:

The Slik weighs 32 oz with nothing on it. The modified neewer with an extra trekking pole leg weighs 12 oz. I carry trekking poles, ballhead, and outdoorsman adapter regardless of tripod choice.
EDIT: The GTPIII is dope, but not adjustable enough for me. I like tripods with multiple leg positions to help adjust height and stability. Also my setup uses the carbide tips on the ground instead of the handles of the trekking poles.

Last edited:
OP
J Batt

J Batt

WKR
Clever idea....though I'm not sure its worth the pound savings for the lack of adjustability to me.

So that I have this right, you used this? or was it the mini?
Neewer tripod

The poles you used is 14.4 and 14mm, what do you figure is the exact dimension that fits inside of this?

_____

The 14.4 mm leg fits very tight. The 14mm leg fit as loose as I would like before needing something to secure it. But theres allot of different ways you could mess with the inner diameter of the tripod legs to get different poles to fit.
I used this one, but theres lighter tabletop tripods, I chose the Neewer for the 3position leg adjustment.

trackhead

FNG
I 3D printed an adapter for my carbon trekking poles that turns them into a tripod with same function. Total additional weight is 63 grams, not including whatever tripod head you add. So you put an adapter on the top of three poles (assuming your not hunting solo), set up tripod in about 5 seconds from poles, do your glassing. If you hunt alone, bring an extra pole. This print supports my 190lb body weight standing on it when set up in tripod configuration. Minimalist, no tools, no moving parts. Saves 2+lbs.

Attachments

• IMG_3885.jpg
    IMG_3885.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 186
OP
J Batt

J Batt

WKR
I 3D printed an adapter for my carbon trekking poles that turns them into a tripod with same function. Total additional weight is 63 grams, not including whatever tripod head you add. So you put an adapter on the top of three poles (assuming your not hunting solo), set up tripod in about 5 seconds from poles, do your glassing. If you hunt alone, bring an extra pole. This print supports my 190lb body weight standing on it when set up in tripod configuration. Minimalist, no tools, no moving parts. Saves 2+lbs.
Very intriguing. How do the trekking poles lock into place?

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider

do you have more pictures of this and possibly share the stl?

OP
J Batt

J Batt

WKR
Start with the lowest/smallest sections first incase you screw it up. But if I remember correctly, pretty sure I used a razor blade to cut off material on those plastic lock tabs, in order to get them to unlock (SEE PICTURES). If you start from the bottom and work your way up you can find out what section will work with your poles. And STOP removing sections once you find the correct fit.
Take one off at a time until you end up with the correct diameter to insert your trekking poles into. Mine worked well with the second to last telescoping position on the tripod (SEE PICTURE!).
You can “lightly” pinch the end of the telescoping section to get a tighter fit if your trekking poles don’t fit tightly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 41

gilby

Lil-Rokslider
Really cool project! I recently purchased a tripod, but I might have to play around with a trekking pole tripod this winter.

Is there a reason not to use the plastic expanding nut on the end of the trekking pole section to lock into the Neewer legs? Are the Neewer legs too small? I am also using Gossamer poles with 14.4mm carbon and slightly smaller plastic nut- 14.2 mm when squeezed. Then I can use my poles for hiking, pull them apart to put in the Neewer for glassing and then go back to hiking with them again.

Attachments

• 20211006_180212.jpg
    20211006_180212.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 20