DIY 3/4 Zip-Off Puffy Pant

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
Have any of you accomplished DIY'ers made you own puffy pant? I was trying to get a pair of FL 330 EXP's and make them zip-off, however FL is out of stock and isn't taking backorders. So... I figured I'd make the combination of KUIU Kenai/SD, the same 3/4 length zip-off like the Kenai but with treated down for insulation. Hopefully beat their 8oz mark. I've never worked with down and have been researching quilt projects to try and educate myself. No specific questions yet just looking for someone who has worked on a similar project. Also looking for a puffy pant pattern before I spend a week just trying to draw one up with no experience.

Thanks!

If I end up taking on this project I will be sure to post up the process and results.

Tim M

Lil-Rokslider
I made my own puffy jacket this winter with some scrap left over from a sleeping bag that I had just finished and could probably offer some advice if you run into problems.

OP
acmckeage03

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
Did you use baffles or did you stitch through to keep the down in place? What did you use for your outer layer? Ripstop by the Roll has quite a few options but I'm not 100% confident on which one I want to buy. Also a big part of my original post is trying to locate a pattern... Did you design your pattern for your jacket or did you buy it from somewhere?

Tim M

Lil-Rokslider
I used apex insulation for my jacket and robic 1.0 for the inner and outer shell since I wanted a synthetic but breathable jacket, if I need to block the wind then I toss on my rain jacket over the top. I sewed the apex to the inner shell at the edge of each piece and then kept the outer shell loose to allow it to lift off the insulation and create a bit more dead air space. As for a pattern I just created a simple raglan sleeve attached hood parka with a full zipper down the front and put a storm flap over it on the inside.

Tim M

Lil-Rokslider
I have also made several down items such as a sleeping bag or puffy jacket and yes I did do a full no seeum baffle design on them.

Fishhead

FNG
I made a pair of puffy synthetic pants from army surplus pant liners. They are od green and work great. I also have several jacket liners in the same material. Cheap is good... 5 bucks for the liners.

OP
acmckeage03

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
I have also made several down items such as a sleeping bag or puffy jacket and yes I did do a full no seeum baffle design on them.
Im not familiar with a no seem baffle design... I'll have to look into that!
!

OP
acmckeage03

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
I made a pair of puffy synthetic pants from army surplus pant liners. They are od green and work great. I also have several jacket liners in the same material. Cheap is good... 5 bucks for the liners.
So did you change the insulation or how did you modify them?

Fishhead

FNG
attachment.php

Fishhead

FNG
I think they are pretty warm. Although i haven't used much else for comparison. Sure there are warmer lighter options but you can't beat the price. I bought them at fleet farm here locally. Search M65 pant liner on Amazon and you can see prices and reviews. Just remember they are made to be used as a liner, so buy big. When its is really cold i throw my rain pants on over these.