DIY Alaska Sea Duck Hunt

Hi everyone- I have heard it whispered a few times but not many details came out. I was wondering if anyone has had luck going to Alaska on a DIY duck hunt. My primary concerns would be making sure I could get to the right locations ( but it seems you can get to the shores and have good luck?). Next would be retrieving the birds- it would not be realistic to bring our dogs with- the waves might get much on the shorelines where we would be hunting? I am sure there is a lot more to think about, please share if you can. I am not too worried about gear but more so making sure we are on the ducks and having opportunity.

We are going out tomorrow on our hunt. Granted I live up here so it's all "diy" except for the fact on this hunt we use a water taxi to get to where we are going. Storms can be bad this time of year and I would rather have some one elses boat in 5 foot seas and not mine. First thing you need to do is figure out where you want to go. Homer, whittier. You can go to kodiak and other places but price tag gets much higher. When we go out with a water taxi we camp in tents for a few nights. Dogs aren't an issue to bring. I don't have one but my buddy who is coming on this trip does. Make sure it get alot of exercise and swimming before you come up. Last year in 2 days the dog did around 65 retrieves which can be taxing on them when the tide is going. You will also want to bring or rent some type of small raft to put out decoys. And move them as the tide changes. There are not any places in whittier or homer to rent decoys or anything so you would want to be bringing them. Depending on when you go and where I might be able to lend you some decoys. If you bring your own you only need about 2 dozen and put them 12 on one long line and 12 on the other. You dont want to be adjusting 24 single decoys ever 2 hours with the tide movement. Much eaiser to grab one end of a line ans drag it up the shore or out further. The transporters aren't going to tell you where you should hunt so you have to kind of come up with that on your own. Depending on where you go I could tell you some pointers. There are a few forest service cabins out of homer you can rent as well as some yurts that get kept up through the winter. In whittier there are a few different cabins to stay at as well.

Biggest things is to decide where you want to hunt, what you want to attempt to shoot, the decoy and raft situation and a water taxi. If I have service I will take some pictures of our set ups and throw them on here.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

crich

WKR
We are going out tomorrow on our hunt. Granted I live up here so it's all "diy" except for the fact on this hunt we use a water taxi to get to where we are going. Storms can be bad this time of year and I would rather have some one elses boat in 5 foot seas and not mine. First thing you need to do is figure out where you want to go. Homer, whittier. You can go to kodiak and other places but price tag gets much higher. When we go out with a water taxi we camp in tents for a few nights. Dogs aren't an issue to bring. I don't have one but my buddy who is coming on this trip does. Make sure it get alot of exercise and swimming before you come up. Last year in 2 days the dog did around 65 retrieves which can be taxing on them when the tide is going. You will also want to bring or rent some type of small raft to put out decoys. And move them as the tide changes. There are not any places in whittier or homer to rent decoys or anything so you would want to be bringing them. Depending on when you go and where I might be able to lend you some decoys. If you bring your own you only need about 2 dozen and put them 12 on one long line and 12 on the other. You dont want to be adjusting 24 single decoys ever 2 hours with the tide movement. Much eaiser to grab one end of a line ans drag it up the shore or out further. The transporters aren't going to tell you where you should hunt so you have to kind of come up with that on your own. Depending on where you go I could tell you some pointers. There are a few forest service cabins out of homer you can rent as well as some yurts that get kept up through the winter. In whittier there are a few different cabins to stay at as well.

Biggest things is to decide where you want to hunt, what you want to attempt to shoot, the decoy and raft situation and a water taxi. If I have service I will take some pictures of our set ups and throw them on here.

This is solid advice! We just moved up here and I had a little time to dabble for some mallards and teal but sea ducks will be next year!

Buddies land in 2 hours hopefully the stars align and this happen again
ce6bc3dfc43df9cb2a72b351059609f7.jpg

Catchfish

WKR
There is good advice above one thing I would mention about those spots mentioned so far are it’s not just a day hunt. It’s more of a couple day trip and there is a lot of things needed to line up including weather.
That time of year it can be cold. You will need some sort of heat source most cabins and yurts have wood stoves so you need to bring wood. Decoys are bulky and a pain to bring up. If you are interested let me know have some loaners I could probably get you. Food your not going to be in town more than likely so ways to cook, and your sleeping bags. Like kwack said you will need a boat of some sort. My suggestion is a small inflatable and a motor is very helpful. I also have kayaks as well but they are bulky but motor is not needed. We try to do a yearly trip But I’ve missed the last 2 years. I always say it is kind of a gear intensive adventure.
I think a trip in Southeast is possible to hunt from town but I can’t help you down there. PM me with questions I can help you out.

It's very gear intensive. For 5 of us and a dog we fill a landing craft full. If anyone has wondered how many guy decoys and dogs you can fit in a raft from pristine ventures the answer is 5 guys a dog and 2 dozen decoys. It is not an easy hunt lots of gear is involved as well as being mobile and having multiple ways to stay warm and for food.

f844f780f871fdd85b0c769228680ef8.jpg