DIY Alaska Spring bear

gsimmons2

FNG
Me and a few guys are wanting to do spring bear in Alaska this upcoming year (2022), mainly to get familiar with Alaska and the adventure. We are looking at either a air-taxi drop hunt or a float trip. We’d also like to do some fishing while there. Any recommendations for float trip/air taxi services or any other general advice? Thanks a lot!

If you're looking to fish too, I would consider a boat charter/transporter.

I fished with Ninilchik charters a couple days this summer. They were very "to the point" and organized.

I haven't hunted with them but their Kodiak deer hunts are well reviewed. They have openings for spring 2022 out of Homer.

OP
gsimmons2

gsimmons2

FNG
If you're looking to fish too, I would consider a boat charter/transporter.

I fished with Ninilchik charters a couple days this summer. They were very "to the point" and organized.

I haven't hunted with them but their Kodiak deer hunts are well reviewed. They have openings for spring 2022 out of Homer.
Is this a good option for black bear? I would love to go for blacktail or other species but I’m in med school and only have a few weeks off a year so kind of limited on seasons.

OP
gsimmons2

gsimmons2

FNG
Where in Alaska are you looking to go?
To be honest with you, I haven’t narrowed it down a ton. From what I have read so far POW or more general SE Alaska both sound promising. But I am not stuck on one area. My idea behind the float trip was covering a large area while getting to fish, etc.

Is this a good option for black bear? I would love to go for blacktail or other species but I’m in med school and only have a few weeks off a year so kind of limited on seasons.
I couldn't say for sure but it looks like they booked all of this spring and killed bears. I think it would be an "easy" trip though. Fly to Anchorage, drive to Homer, get on the boat...

OP
gsimmons2

gsimmons2

FNG
I couldn't say for sure but it looks like they booked all of this spring and killed bears. I think it would be an "easy" trip though. Fly to Anchorage, drive to Homer, get on the boat...
Ok thank you, I will look into them.

OP
gsimmons2

gsimmons2

FNG
There are several outfitters that do spring bear and fishing combos...excellent way to hunt and fish at the same time.
Have any you recommend? Guess I should have clarified that we are not really looking to be fully guided. This is more or less us getting our feet wet and most of us are younger guys with shallow pockets.

hodgeman

WKR
Have any you recommend? Guess I should have clarified that we are not really looking to be fully guided. This is more or less us getting our feet wet and most of us are younger guys with shallow pockets.
Most of these aren't fully guided. You camp on the boat and fish off the boat...you're dropped off on the shore to DIY hunt in the morning and evening. They provide a floating camp and meals.

For an even more DIY experience, check out Randy Newberg's vids on Southeast Alaska spring bear- he lays it out pretty well.

OP
gsimmons2

gsimmons2

FNG
Most of these aren't fully guided. You camp on the boat and fish off the boat...you're dropped off on the shore to DIY hunt in the morning and evening. They provide a floating camp and meals.

For an even more DIY experience, check out Randy Newberg's vids on Southeast Alaska spring bear- he lays it out pretty well.
Oh ok, I was not aware of that. I have a couple Charters like that written down to contact (Homer Oceans, Ninilchik). Do you have knowledge of either? Thanks for all of the info, it is much appreciated.