DIY Alaskan Moose Adventure 2012

7mag.

WKR
Sweet! We need pics and a story, ASAP. This live hunt idea is great. I really like following along while I wait for my hunt to start.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Now that was the fastest Live Hunt yet! Good job Matt. Get your arse in service, we want pics and stories!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Holy crap!

Sorry about the "drama" Roksliders. I am back at home, the wife is kissed and the kids are hugged. I will soon be combing through about 16GB of photos and videos. There is a tremendous amount of work that goes into finishing a 5000 mile roadtrip hunting adventure.

Suffice it to say the hunt was a wild success, especially for three guys that had never stepped foot in the area!

Jared shot his bull on the first full day of hunting. It came into some early morning calling, emerging from the willows in the creek bottom, grunting and thrashing a tree on his way into shooting range. Let me tell you, Alaskan moose are ridiculously huge, and can take some solid hits, but he hit the dirt for good after soaking up three solid 200 grain Accubonds out of Jared's 300 RUM.

Two days later, I spotted a moose paddle at almost two miles away poking up out of some alders way above treeline. There was a lot of debate over whether it was a shed or a moose, but when we peaked over the hill at about 250 yards away, I could see an ear moving around in the alders. We got set up and tried our best to sound like another bull stealing a cow. He didn't like that much, and slowly stood up, and right into the path of my 7mm Rem Mag. three hits through the works with 160 grain Accubonds, and I was celebrating like a drunk fratboy in Cabo.

Two days later found us above treeline and watching a cow near a patch of timber. She didn't have a calf, went into the timber, and never came out before dark, but I am sure there was a suitor for her in that timber. I can only guess what he looked like...

We saw exactly 0 moose over the next 5 days! In the middle of the dry spell, the unit closed and we had to switch units. With only two days left we found a young bull, and Austin decided it was time to end the hunt. A couple of shots from his 300 RUM, and we were all tagged out.

A big part of the adventure was getting all three moose into the trailer and to the meatcutter, but we didn't lose an ounce of meat, and never had to freeze or ship anything!

That is the Cliff's Notes, but I will flesh it out more soon! There are tons of great side stories to come as well. What an awesome adventure!

I am stoked to catch up on the Rokslide goings-on.

P.S. If you head to AK and Becca gives you advice on where to eat ... listen closely. Fast Eddy's in Tok is awesome!

Last edited:
OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Jared's bull:

jared2012_zpse6aff750.jpg