DIY Alaskan Moose Adventure 2012

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
So my hunting partner, Jared, his brother-in-law Austin, and I head for a seat of the pants Alaskan Road Trip adventure in a week!

The plan is to trailer ATVs from MT to the Fairbanks area and find some bulls. Austin is an AK resident and has researched our units extensively, but on-the-ground scouting is out of the question. Austin has killed bulls in similar units, but not actually the units we will be heading to. Success rates are pretty good at around 30%, and there is no width restriction, so we won't be biting our nails over a 48" bull.

Kind of a nerve-racking trip, but I am still super excited to get going. I am not much of an ATV guy, but my dad has been nice enough to let me borrow his Kawasaki for the trip. I guess they are pretty much essential for moose hunts where you aren't flying out.

Keep your fingers crossed for us! It won't exactly be a live hunt due to non-existant coverage, but I will have a special SPOT message for Ryan to post on this thread, should ol' Bitterroot Bulls get lucky!

Longstride12

Lil-Rokslider
Will a Civic pull an ATV and trailer that far? Might be better off pulling the Civic with the ATV! :) Good luck on the hunt, Moose are BIG animals and you don't really understand how big until the cleaning and skinning starts. Can't wait for updates and pictures.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Alright Roksliders,

Let's talk some gear. First on packs:

I really like my Kuiu 6000, as I have posted before. I haven't had ANY of the troubles that many report with it. However, this hunt is going to be day-hunting from an ATV camp, so I won't be hauling camp on my back.

I have procured a Cabelas frame pack that I have had great luck with in the past for hauling meat.

So ... I am thinking the Eberlestock J104 will be getting the primary hunting pack nod on this trip. We talk a lot about the top-shelf packs here on Rokslide, and for good reason ... they are worth it. Still, the J104 has been a great pack for me for years, and it is at its very best when used as a daypack. It will still allow me to haul something out on the first trip out, where I can come back with the freighter. I also really like the simplified layout for getting my day-hunting gear organized. But most of all ... this is a rifle hunt and the gun scabbard feature is just awesome for getting your gun off your shoulder, and letting you maneuver the way you want in the field.

What do you think? Am I on the right track?

cmeier117

WKR
Sounds like the perfect pack would be a DT3 ;) .... I mean ya the J104 will be great. Ya I would say so if you are day hunting and not having to pack the meat out. But doesn't that thing weight more than the Icon 6000?

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Mine is around 6.5 pounds. Total pack weight (sans rifle) should be well under 30 pounds. Shouldn't be too bad.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good luck Matt. The J104 was the first for Eberlestock and was probably the best. For the type of hunt you are doing it should be just fine. When I rifle hunted, I always liked the Eberlestock scabbard system, but didn't use it long once I bought a Kifaru. Safe travels, that is a lot of driving.

HOT ROD

WKR
Good luck Matt. keep us posted. I to have the j104. Its the only pack I have ever owned. So I cant coment on any others....

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Well Roksliders,

We are on our way!

No cell phone and bad coverage means this won't be a real Live Hunt, so Ryan or Robbie can move the thread as they see fit.

Hopefully Ryan gets a certain SPOT message soon!