DIY Apex Quilt Complete

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
Awesome post and awesome job! I am new to sewing and after reading and learning from guys like you I have a broad question... First I will start off by saying I only hunt back country about 10 days a year so spending 300+ on a bag was hard to swallow. As my first build, I dont expect perfection but functionality. Before I order the material I will share whats in my cart and see if people agree or have any suggestions.
3yrds HyperD 1.0 (for inside)
3 yrds Robic XL 1.7
3 yrds 7.5oz Climashield APEX
2 yrds 3/8 flat elastic
I know I have extra material but I plan on making a stuff sack or pillow. I am hoping to make it 58x76. Now for the question... I have an Xtherm pad that is tapered, would you suggest making a traditional "rectangle" quilt and using a draw string (keeping the quilt above the pad I assume?) OR trying to form fit the quilt to my pad and have more of a non vented foot box. Being from Wisconsin I have not got the chance to physically see or use a quilt.. I am assuming making the rectangle and a draw cord on top and bottom and elastic across the middle of the quilt will be my best bet but just thought I would ask. Thanks in advance and hopefully in the weeks to come I can share my experience. ANY other tips that you or anyone has feel free to throw them at me!
IMO you need to make it longer unless you are quite short. I made mine 85" and at 6 foot tall, i wish i had made it 4-6" longer. What i did not plan for is how much length gets consumed when you close the foot box. Cinching the top has the same effect. What was flat becomes 3d and that costs inches.

FWIW i have never used this quilt opened up so the one im working on now will be a closed foot box. I measured my old mummy bag and it has a 13" circle in the bottom of the boot box so i am copying that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
I know this is a older post but how did the bag hold up over time?
Still going strong with no issues. I made a full bag this last year using the same materials and approach. But i made it a hair too small for me. Makes me a little claustraphobic around my shoulders but its super warm. Ive only had the bag down to about 30 but i dont even zip it all the way up at that temp. Well actually i did have it in the low 20s on a sheep hunt recently and didnt zip it fully then either. But i do sleep in my pants, shirt, hoody.

Blackhawk45hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Still going strong with no issues. I made a full bag this last year using the same materials and approach. But i made it a hair too small for me. Makes me a little claustraphobic around my shoulders but its super warm. Ive only had the bag down to about 30 but i dont even zip it all the way up at that temp. Well actually i did have it in the low 20s on a sheep hunt recently and didnt zip it fully then either. But i do sleep in my pants, shirt, hoody.

Could you post pics of the bag? I’ve been kicking around the idea of making a bag myself but haven’t taken the plunge yet.

What weight Apex did you use?

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
Could you post pics of the bag? I’ve been kicking around the idea of making a bag myself but haven’t taken the plunge yet.

What weight Apex did you use?
Afraid not. Will try to remember to take one later. It is a very simple undertaking.

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
Btw do not ise 550 cord for the footbox cinch. It does not bunch it up very well. That is the problem i had here. I swapped it for some small cordage and i get a much better cinch.

tammons

FNG
Climashield is good stuff. Here are some fairly conservative number for climashield apex. This is what enlightened Eq uses.

2oz 50df, 4oz 40df, 6oz 30df, 8oz 20df.