DIY Archery Target, By Jimmy Tippetts

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Insert-pic-11.jpg

Jimmy is like a lot of us and likes to save money by building things himself when possible. In this article, he details how he builds DYI archery targets that are easy and inexpensive. Check it out!

DIY Archery Target

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Solo Targets makes some awesome target faces. Lifelike, life sized. Pretty amazing.

Terrapin

WKR
We used to paint them with car undercoating. They looked better and didn’t seem to make such a mess. Also make sure you don’t use the rubber backed glue down carpet. It will friction weld to you arrows.

Also try not to get carpet from a house with cats... unless you like the smell of cat pee on your arrows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The only problem I've had with carpet layer targets is the carpet glue sticks and holds onto the arrows something fierce. And then "if" you get your arrow out you need your knife to clean all the glue globs off of the arrows. Other than that, they should hold up really well.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
We used to paint them with car undercoating. They looked better and didn’t seem to make such a mess. Also make sure you don’t use the rubber backed glue down carpet. It will friction weld to you arrows.

Also try not to get carpet from a house with cats... unless you like the smell of cat pee on your arrows.

Man you’ve been down this road before.

Slim Jim

WKR
The only problem I've had with carpet layer targets is the carpet glue sticks and holds onto the arrows something fierce. And then "if" you get your arrow out you need your knife to clean all the glue globs off of the arrows. Other than that, they should hold up really well.

Maybe I’ve just gotten lucky but I haven’t had that problem with mine. But I have had that problem at other ranges.

Slim Jim

WKR

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Maybe I’ve just gotten lucky but I haven’t had that problem with mine. But I have had that problem at other ranges.

There are some commercial ones, can't remember their name now.....they are out of Washington or Oregon, and they were really bad. There was one time at the range we had five guys standing there all trying to pull my arrows. Then a guy showed up with that Hamskea lever arrow puller. And it even struggled for a little bit before getting them out.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
None whatsoever. Every now and then you might have to scratch off a little glue residue with your fingernails. It comes right off though

I wish I had taken pics of some of my arrows covered in globs of glue. It's like the fiberboard targets that my range uses. Pull on an arrow for a few minutes and when it finally busts free it looks like Bigfoot's arm because of all the fiber attached to it. I scrape most the chunks off with a knife and then a copper scrubber to get the small stuff off and smooth it out.

Dsmiley49

FNG
Anybody think they have built the best DIY broadhead target? Thinking of building a foam target....

zwc94

FNG
This is fantastic, came just in time! We were supposed to be turkey hunting tonight, would’ve been first time hunting with my new bow. Now in quarantine and doing kitchen/master bath remodel. Weee. I have to rip out bathroom carpet in a bit so looks like I’ll have the materials. Thanks for the idea/instructions.