DIY Archery Target, By Jimmy Tippetts

JDixon

FNG
Been using a carpet target for some time now, completely happy with it. Have had some tough arrow pulls once in a while from the arrow hitting the edge of the backing of the carpet. Just consider it part of your workout

raptor16

Lil-Rokslider
So to be clear, if I go ask my local flooring company for scrap carpet what do I need to ask them to make sure it would be the kind of carpet that WON’T leave glue/residue all over the arrows?

Harrott

FNG
Thanks for the tip. I’m building a 3D walkthrough on my property. There’s no way that I could afford enough foam targets to make it a good course.

Slim Jim

WKR
So to be clear, if I go ask my local flooring company for scrap carpet what do I need to ask them to make sure it would be the kind of carpet that WON’T leave glue/residue all over the arrows?

I always use the cheap carpet that most people rip out after they close on a new home. I’ve never had a problem glue residue from that carpet. If where you live has new construction, there is usually plenty of that carpet at local flooring companies that they throw away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mo0se14

FNG
Hello, I'm new to the forum.

I have been pondering making my own target also, and came across this video.

I'm curious if anyone else has tried this and how well it has worked?

Thanks

jcarrera

FNG
My house got new carpet a few weeks ago and I had some strips left over. I had three strips about 20' x20" after cutting them the stack isn't very high. The bottom of the carpet is pretty rough and I can see it lightly sanding the arrow each and every time i shoot it, which has me wondering if I should even bother sourcing some more and finishing this project..

Jsusic

Lil-Rokslider
Hello, I'm new to the forum.

I have been pondering making my own target also, and came across this video.

I'm curious if anyone else has tried this and how well it has worked?

Thanks
My neighbor built one similar to that, works great

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Kmk343

FNG
Great idea with the carpet. I recently made a pvc frame to hang a horse stall mat as a back stop and hung a target in the center. Seems to work well for stopping the occasional stray arrow.

74hntr

FNG
I have carpet targets and a box I filled with old clothes then covered with 3rd hand archery skins. I like the Capet better at distance because it’s bigger and at 40-80 yards arrows easier to pull. Up close or if kids shooting the old cloths way easier to pull arrows from. Price to build was a wash. I’ve yet to find diy broadhead option that works out well.

Piatt

FNG
I am a floor installer, there is a relatively newer product out called aero, it is a carpet with a felt pad attached. It would make a much nicer target, more weather resistance from rain, and I think will hold up better long term and not be as abreasive on your arrows as traditional carpet backing.

Jonn44

FNG
Good idea, may be time to rip the carpet out of the basement that wife has been fussing over!