DIY Backcountry Med Kit

4 knuckle bandaids
2 small antibiotic ointment packets
1 role gauze
1 small container of alcohol hand sanitizer (works wonders for taking pine sap off your hands and gear as well as a disinfectant)
1 role of dental floss
1 Tylenol per day
1 ibuprofen per day
4 Imodium
4 tums
4 gauze pads
Moleskin
Role of Medical tape

And adding this year 1 CAT tourniquet (after listening to a meateater podcast)

OP
Garrett.Stump
4 knuckle bandaids
1 role gauze
1 small container of alcohol hand sanitizer (works wonders for taking pine sap off your hands and gear as well as a disinfectant)
1 role of dental floss
1 Tylenol per day
1 ibuprofen per day
4 Imodium
4 tums
4 gauze pads
Moleskin
Role of Medical tape

only 1 Ibuprofen per day?

Funny you ask, I had this conversation with my wife packing for our next trip. I don’t always use it each day. But 2 wouldn’t be a bad idea. No real weight penalty. I rarely take medication so one gets me by late afternoon thru morning. If I am up a mountain with a 60lb pack I wouldn’t hesitate to take two per day. She said as much as I complain at the end of the day I should have 4...

OP
Garrett.Stump
Funny you ask, I had this conversation with my wife packing for our next trip. I don’t always use it each day. But 2 wouldn’t be a bad idea. No real weight penalty. I rarely take medication so one gets me by late afternoon thru morning. If I am up a mountain with a 60lb pack I wouldn’t hesitate to take two per day. She said as much as I complain at the end of the day I should have 4...
I kind of figured you didnt take them daily. I just figured for an adult body size 1 a day would not even be effective, my wife would probably agree with yours...lol

OP
Garrett.Stump
Heard a good suggestion somewhere about including stuff for the runs or if you can’t go... might be a life saver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i always have some imodium and laxatives in my kit for sure.

Hey on YouTube and check out the last couple videos Initial Ascent has put up on their channel. Definitely more than a lot of guys on here are carrying but in an oh shit situation Rodger would fair better than most...

I carry the Adventure Medical Kit UltraLight kit .5 with an extra medicine supplement pouch from the same company.

Leukotape, extra lip balm, a few extra cloth bandaids, one dermabond, and the tiny Swiss Army knife with scissor, tweezer, and toothpick. For trauma I have chest seal, combat gauze, an Israeli bandage, and 2 tourniquets. (Roger from Initial Ascent is carrying the same EQT that most CA cops are issued and carry. We all had the same training statewide)

.....And a PLB for if I put my foot on backwards one day in the sticks.

Last edited:

WyoKid

WKR
4 inch Israeli bandage
Quick clot
4 band aids
.5 gram Neosporin packets x4
4 inch compressed gauze x2
800 mg Ibuprofen x6
Knuckle bandage x2
Aspirin x6

I don't carry tournaquet as well improvise with my belt or backpack compression strap.

Same with lip balm as well have cotton balls soaked with Vaseline for fire starter.

Surgical gloves, plastic license carrier or ID can be improvised for a chest wound.

Charcoal will work for upset stomach if necessary.

JustinEllison

Lil-Rokslider
4-6 alcohol pads
4 small packets of triple antibiotic
1 roll of gauze
Leuko tape
4-5 Benadryl
5 ibuprofen or aleve X amount of days
Tylenol/hydrocodene Incase something really gets bad.
super glue
Can use a compression strap on my pack to make a tourniquet

Rich M

WKR
Advil
lip balm
blood clot gauze
blood clot sponge
ace bandage
assorted band aids
neosporin packs
alcohol wipes
tape
safety pins
nail clippers
folding scissors
super glue
visene

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
tourniquet
israeli bandage
quick clot
coban/vet wrap
ace wrap
super glue
suture kit (extreme circumstances)
pain killers/nsaids/imodium/laxative/aspirin/anti histamines
burn cream
steri strips
4x4 gauze pads
rehydration salts
plenty of duct tape wrapped around trekking poles
gloves
trauma shears
empty 50cc syringe to irrigate a wound with clean water (patients water bottle)

Being aware of any health conditions or medications that your hunting partners have can go a long way in helping someone if a problem arises and they are incapacitated (same thing on your end). I work on a wilderness medical team that works in conjunction with search a rescue and things always go much smoother if there is already someone on scene who knows what pre-existing conditions the patient has. Tourniquets and the knowledge on how to apply one correctly saves a lot of lives. Same with antihistamines (benedryl). Knowledge is power take a backcountry medicine class.

4 knuckle bandaids
1 role gauze
1 role of dental floss
1 Tylenol per day
1 ibuprofen per day
4 Imodium
4 tums
4 gauze pads
Moleskin
Role of Medical tape

Good on you for adding a tourniquet! A lot of those things will make you comfortable but not save your life, a tourniquet will. I suggest everyone should carry one for hunting trips or even firewood cutting.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I break med kits into two categories, comfort kit and life saving.

Comfort kit
3-4 Tegaderms (2 3/8 x 2 3/4 size)
4 or 5 Nexcare bandaids
A few tabs of Allegra
12 (or more) 200mg ibuprofen
8 (or more) 500mg Tylenol
Small body glide stick

Life saving kit
SWAT-T (heavy at 4.5 oz, but multipurpose)
1 triangular bandage
1 mylar blanket

Multipurpose gear that would be used medically if needed
1 small hemostat (life saving)
Sewing kit (4 needles, 15 lb test fishing braid)
Pack straps (life saving)
Cordage
Trekking poles (life saving)
Knife (life saving)
Water filter (wound irrigation)
Gorilla tape
Electrical tape
Shelter, insulation, stove, pot, food (hypothermia treatment)
Electrolyte tabs

Nice to haves (that I don't carry) would be homeostatic gauze (Quick Clot, Cellox), 1g IM cefazolin.

As a side note, almost all belts make terrible tourniquets as they are too stiff and you cannot effectively tighten them with a windlass (I doubt anyone alive can cinch a strap tight enough to cut off arterial blood flow on an adult with even a moderate amount of muscle mass). 1 inch pack webbing would work better, though you increase the likelihood of nerve injuries when compared to wider options. If a tourniquet does not hurt when you put it on, it is not tight enough. Improperly applied tourniquets tend to result in amputations due to compartment syndrome, as well as not effectively stopping arterial blood loss and magnifying venous bleeding.

I break med kits into two categories, comfort kit and life saving.

Comfort kit
3-4 Tegaderms (2 3/8 x 2 3/4 size)
4 or 5 Nexcare bandaids
A few tabs of Allegra
12 (or more) 200mg ibuprofen
8 (or more) 500mg Tylenol
Small body glide stick

Life saving kit
SWAT-T (heavy at 4.5 oz, but multipurpose)
1 triangular bandage
1 mylar blanket

Multipurpose gear that would be used medically if needed
1 small hemostat (life saving)
Sewing kit (4 needles, 15 lb test fishing braid)
Pack straps (life saving)
Cordage
Trekking poles (life saving)
Knife (life saving)
Water filter (wound irrigation)
Gorilla tape
Electrical tape
Shelter, insulation, stove, pot, food (hypothermia treatment)
Electrolyte tabs

Nice to haves (that I don't carry) would be homeostatic gauze (Quick Clot, Cellox), 1g IM cefazolin.

As a side note, almost all belts make terrible tourniquets as they are too stiff and you cannot effectively tighten them with a windlass (I doubt anyone alive can cinch a strap tight enough to cut off arterial blood flow on an adult with even a moderate amount of muscle mass). 1 inch pack webbing would work better, though you increase the likelihood of nerve injuries when compared to wider options. If a tourniquet does not hurt when you put it on, it is not tight enough. Improperly applied tourniquets tend to result in amputations due to compartment syndrome, as well as not effectively stopping arterial blood loss and magnifying venous bleeding.
Great information

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Bluesky

FNG
Would you say, for a general first aid trained person. Is a purchased kit typically adequate, or do you have to hunt around to build your own? I'd love some reliable sources on where to pick up a good back country (lightweight) medkit. Beyond the bandaid, neosporin, gauze pad kit that the walmart sells.