DIY Backpacking Meals, By Jake Lamphier

Cooter49

FNG
Thanks Jake for putting that article together. I have always wanted to do my own meals just did not know where to start. you make it look a lot then I had it in my mind.

lamp_ak

FNG
Thanks Jake for putting that article together. I have always wanted to do my own meals just did not know where to start. you make it look a lot then I had it in my mind
I’m glad you found it useful. It’s good way to kill some time in the off season

cams

FNG
Thanks for the article. lookin forward to try dehydrating my own meals.

Cmb8316

FNG
Appreciate the article. Breaking into the “backcountry” space after two decades of treestand whitetails and weekend warrior type hunting and food is certainly a new thing for me to worry about. Being 20 minutes from the truck and a box of little Debbie made it a non issue for a long time. Looking forward to working out some recipes this off-season .

Good ideas, a few of those I would have never thought of. Sure like the idea of saving some $$$$ but also eating well.

Great article and Great Idea, thank you! I already can but hadn't thought of this. Been looking for a way to have less sodium than the MH stuff. Just pulled out the dehydrator and put in some canned venison and canned chicken. Looking forward to experimenting!

jg58

FNG
Making your own DIY backpacking meals may seem complicated at first but Jake Lamphier (@lamp_ak) shows that it isn't as bad as you might think. He also shares a couple of his favorite recipes in his article DIY Backpacking Meals.

View attachment 272677

Jake lives in rural Alaska and for the last 15 years has been hunting and fishing all across the state. Jake’s obsession with hunting is rooted in the prize of a full freezer and the adventures which bring that meat home. As an Alaskan resident, Jake is blessed with the opportunity to hunt many of North America’s most iconic big game, spending 70+ days a year in the field, living out of his pack, and roaming the wilderness of Alaska. In addition to being a die-hard DIY hunter, he also guides for Hidden Alaska Outfitters, helping people have an Alaskan hunting experience of their dreams!

Give Jake a warm Rokslide welcome and let him know what you think of his article.
Great discussion

Elite

WKR
My family has been experimenting with DIY backpack meals. While I don't mind the meals you can purchase like Mountain House, they are too salty for me and usually lack enough veggies. We started dehydrating like recipes above in this thread. A huge game changer was purchasing bulk freeze dried ingredients from Thrive Life. They have all sorts of options for protein (which I never trusted my dehydrator with) like pulled pork, grilled chicken, sausage crumbles, etc. - https://www.thrivelife.com/shop

Last hunting season we backpacked and packed exclusively all our own meals. We bring along an extra silicone pouch or mountain house bag for the cooking. Makes it easy too to add up calories per meal.

Care to share any recipes ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen a few people comment about coozies for their dehydrated meal bags. There a few freeze dried meal coozies on the market now from Alaska Gear Company and Hyperlite. I know you can do DIY, but has anyone have any experience with coozies from outdoor gear brands?

9.3koolaid

Lil-Rokslider
I've seen a few people comment about coozies for their dehydrated meal bags. There a few freeze dried meal coozies on the market now from Alaska Gear Company and Hyperlite. I know you can do DIY, but has anyone have any experience with coozies from outdoor gear brands?
I usually just wrap it up in a jacket while it hydrates or zip it up in a pocket if I'm wearing my puffy.

Last edited: