DIY Backpacking Meals, By Jake Lamphier

Steve1662

FNG
Going to give the breakfast recipe a try. Thanks for sharing. Curious if anyone knows how much a 2.6 oz StarKist tuna packet would dehydrate down to.

mikey

FNG
never knew this existed
its expensive but luckily found it at my local outlet store for a steep discount

might be a good addition or replacement to the milk powder in the breakfast recipe. extra calories and fat. going to give it a shot!

Attachments

• butter.jpg
    butter.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 27

Hunthigh1

WKR
Great article. Thanks for the new recipes. I like to use the pot to rehydrate/ consume as well. On super cold late season hunts I can keep the burner on super low so that my food doesn’t cool down too much while rehydrating, or if I’m eating slowly I can warm it back up halfway through. That’s another plus to the pot method.

Great article and podcast. It might have been mentioned, but I wanted to point out granola is easy to make. My favorite uses olive oil and peanut butter and I throw in chocolate chips while it is cooling to make a peanut butter cup granola which is just as good as a snack as it is as a breakfast. You can toast some coconut flakes to add in to add calories

Nice demo on dehydrated meals. This season I just starting making my own powdered shake meals (like an elaborate protein shake). This system not only helped me lose lose in my pack, but I have super nutritious (full of good fats, proteins, carbs, etc.). Also no to low sodium. One nice thing about Mountain House meals is you don't have to take a shit for a few days, one bad thing is you don't take a shit for a few days...

Nice demo on dehydrated meals. This season I just starting making my own powdered shake meals (like an elaborate protein shake). This system not only helped me lose lose in my pack, but I have super nutritious (full of good fats, proteins, carbs, etc.). Also no to low sodium. One nice thing about Mountain House meals is you don't have to take a shit for a few days, one bad thing is you don't take a shit for a few days...
Curious if you pack a shaker cup with you? An elaborate protein shake sounds awesome up in the mountains, but do you have any issues with mixing?

Curious if you pack a shaker cup with you? An elaborate protein shake sounds awesome up in the mountains, but do you have any issues with mixing?
I have a shaker bottle and it does great. To be sure it blends well, I first add enough water to cover the metal wire ball, then add the powder. Nice thing is I can make it as thick/thin as I want, ie use more or less water if I need to conserve water. To clean I just a little water and give it some good shaking and it cleans up well, sometimes might just need to repeat 2/3 times. Check out amazon for PB2 powdered peanut butter (although this makes it thicker/more water needed) and also tasty powders such as apple, strawberry, banana, etc. I add MCT powder oil, dry milk, sometimes oatmeal blended up (more as a filler), and definitely chia and/or flaxseeds for fiber. And of course some protein powder, but I think I am overdoing it on protein so I may experiment without the protein powder. This combo is heavy so eat it slowly or split it into multiple meals. Or take it early and let it settle because I can drink this and not have to eat more than just a bar until dinner much later.

I have a shaker bottle and it does great. To be sure it blends well, I first add enough water to cover the metal wire ball, then add the powder. Nice thing is I can make it as thick/thin as I want, ie use more or less water if I need to conserve water. To clean I just a little water and give it some good shaking and it cleans up well, sometimes might just need to repeat 2/3 times. Check out amazon for PB2 powdered peanut butter (although this makes it thicker/more water needed) and also tasty powders such as apple, strawberry, banana, etc. I add MCT powder oil, dry milk, sometimes oatmeal blended up (more as a filler), and definitely chia and/or flaxseeds for fiber. And of course some protein powder, but I think I am overdoing it on protein so I may experiment without the protein powder. This combo is heavy so eat it slowly or split it into multiple meals. Or take it early and let it settle because I can drink this and not have to eat more than just a bar until dinner much later.
Have you done a calorie count on one of these shakes? Sounds like lots of good stuff.

AllPNW

FNG
My family has been experimenting with DIY backpack meals. While I don't mind the meals you can purchase like Mountain House, they are too salty for me and usually lack enough veggies. We started dehydrating like recipes above in this thread. A huge game changer was purchasing bulk freeze dried ingredients from Thrive Life. They have all sorts of options for protein (which I never trusted my dehydrator with) like pulled pork, grilled chicken, sausage crumbles, etc. - https://www.thrivelife.com/shop

Last hunting season we backpacked and packed exclusively all our own meals. We bring along an extra silicone pouch or mountain house bag for the cooking. Makes it easy too to add up calories per meal.

Last edited:

tracker12

WKR
Going to give the breakfast recipe a try. Thanks for sharing. Curious if anyone knows how much a 2.6 oz StarKist tuna packet would dehydrate down to.
Why would you want to dehydrate the tuna. Carrots peanuts and tuna in oil all in its own packet is one of my mainstays.

tracker12

WKR
My family has been experimenting with DIY backpack meals. While I don't mind the meals you can purchase like Mountain House, they are too salty for me and usually lack enough veggies. We started dehydrating like recipes above in this thread. A huge game changer was purchasing bulk freeze dried ingredients from Thrive Live. They have all sorts of options for protein (which I never trusted my dehydrator with) like pulled pork, grilled chicken, sausage crumbles, etc.

Last hunting season we backpacked and packed exclusively all our own meals. We bring along an extra silicone pouch or mountain house bag for the cooking. Makes it easy too to add up calories per meal.
Thrive Live or Thrive Life?

Making your own DIY backpacking meals may seem complicated at first but Jake Lamphier (@lamp_ak) shows that it isn't as bad as you might think. He also shares a couple of his favorite recipes in his article DIY Backpacking Meals.

View attachment 272677

Jake lives in rural Alaska and for the last 15 years has been hunting and fishing all across the state. Jake’s obsession with hunting is rooted in the prize of a full freezer and the adventures which bring that meat home. As an Alaskan resident, Jake is blessed with the opportunity to hunt many of North America’s most iconic big game, spending 70+ days a year in the field, living out of his pack, and roaming the wilderness of Alaska. In addition to being a die-hard DIY hunter, he also guides for Hidden Alaska Outfitters, helping people have an Alaskan hunting experience of their dreams!

Give Jake a warm Rokslide welcome and let him know what you think of his article.
Awesome article, can't wait to try