DIY Backpacking Meals, By Jake Lamphier

12kAhres

FNG
They're probably not money-savers but the Jet Boil website has a bunch of DIY recipes.

Hoff

FNG
I’ll defnately use this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beans also dehydrate nicely and easily. I have done canned black beans or pinto beans. I have thrown those in with those simple spanish rice mixes and those are good. Homemade refried beans dehydrate wonderfully. Add a cheese square and some Fritos or corn chips and its excellent.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Question....I just finished my elk chili dehydration yesterday. Put them in Mylar bags when it finished. Today, I opened to drop in the oxygen packets, and there was a smell. It was not a chili smell, a bad smell. I dare say it smelled like meat that was spoiled.
Please tell me this is the elk's "gamey" smell I'm picking up? Could my chili somehow have gone bad in less than 24 hours?

lamp_ak

FNG
Question....I just finished my elk chili dehydration yesterday. Put them in Mylar bags when it finished. Today, I opened to drop in the oxygen packets, and there was a smell. It was not a chili smell, a bad smell. I dare say it smelled like meat that was spoiled.
Please tell me this is the elk's "gamey" smell I'm picking up? Could my chili somehow have gone bad in less than 24 hours?
Here’s what I’m thinking… one what cut of elk was it and did it have any fat? Dehydration of Wild game fat is not really something I’ve ever had success at and is definitely a source of spoilage smell.

I wouldn’t expect spoilage in 24 hours. Was this a fully cooked and prepared chili that was ready to eat prior to being put into the dehydrator?

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
It was 100% ground elk, fat drained off, and fully cooked chili before dehydrator. I’m going to rehydrate and eat one obviously, but wanted to know if anyone else ever got a weird smell.
This is my first time dehydrating

lamp_ak

FNG
It was 100% ground elk, fat drained off, and fully cooked chili before dehydrator. I’m going to rehydrate and eat one obviously, but wanted to know if anyone else ever got a weird smell.
This is my first time dehydrating
I’ll be interested in how it tastes. All the wildgame I’ve dehydrated was pressure canned prior to dehydration.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Update-I just ate a chili mac test meal. It was AMAZING! Super stoked it came out perfect, and I will never again force down purchased meals full of crap.
I was so skeptical, I put off eating it for over a week because I put so much time and effort into making them, I was scared of the outcome.
It tasted as if I just made it fresh. Thanks to all for the info!

Superdoo

WKR
Update-I just ate a chili mac test meal. It was AMAZING! Super stoked it came out perfect, and I will never again force down purchased meals full of crap.
I was so skeptical, I put off eating it for over a week because I put so much time and effort into making them, I was scared of the outcome.
It tasted as if I just made it fresh. Thanks to all for the info!
How long has it been since you ate it???
Are you celebrating prematurely???

Mpw20

FNG
Great article. Another added benefit is you know what you’re eating. Looking at the ingredients and nutritional values on other meals is eye opening.

EdP

WKR
Walmart sells several excelent dry soup mixes. I like the minestrone. Add some dried vegetables (tomato, onion, pepper, carrot) and a 1/4 cup of freeze dried chicken to 1/2 of the minestrone package and you have a great meal for one. The mix goes in your pot and then add water and bring to a boil. Set aside for about 15 min covered with something to keep the heat in, then add more water and bring back to a boil. Check to make sure everything is hydrated and eat.

Longgrain rice, freeze dried chicken, a handfill of caschews or peanuts and dried vegetables (see above) makes a great meal. Use 1/2 the rice in a package. Again, bring to a boil and set aside covered. Bring back to a boil and let sit a bit longer. Simmering as described on the package directions is an unnecessary waste of stove fuel.

Zatarains jambalaya rice (1/2 package), dried onions, tomato, and pepper, and a can of tiny shrimp makes a great meal. Prepare as above. Freeze dried shrimp would be even better, but not the kind sold for cat treats.

I just wrote a guide on dehydrating your own meals for the backcountry. I had a ton of questions when I first got started a handful of years ago, so documented my experience in the guide to answer those for other folks who might have the same questions:
  • What machine should I choose based on my budget?
  • Is there anything you can't dehydrate?
  • How do I know when it's done?
  • How do I package and rehydrate it once in the backcountry?
  • What are some simple recipes to get me started?
It's for sale on the website for $10, but I'm happy to give away 4 or 5 copies to guys brand new to dehydrating and wanting a little information to get started in the right direction (shoot me a message with a good email).

Admin: please delete if not allowed. Hoping it's helpful to a few folks vs pushing a product or detracting from your original post and Jake's great information.

diehljm

FNG
Making your own DIY backpacking meals may seem complicated at first but Jake Lamphier (@lamp_ak) shows that it isn't as bad as you might think. He also shares a couple of his favorite recipes in his article DIY Backpacking Meals.

View attachment 272677

Jake lives in rural Alaska and for the last 15 years has been hunting and fishing all across the state. Jake’s obsession with hunting is rooted in the prize of a full freezer and the adventures which bring that meat home. As an Alaskan resident, Jake is blessed with the opportunity to hunt many of North America’s most iconic big game, spending 70+ days a year in the field, living out of his pack, and roaming the wilderness of Alaska. In addition to being a die-hard DIY hunter, he also guides for Hidden Alaska Outfitters, helping people have an Alaskan hunting experience of their dreams!

Give Jake a warm Rokslide welcome and let him know what you think of his article.
Great ideas, looking forward to trying some of these!

diehljm

FNG
Making your own DIY backpacking meals may seem complicated at first but Jake Lamphier (@lamp_ak) shows that it isn't as bad as you might think. He also shares a couple of his favorite recipes in his article DIY Backpacking Meals.

View attachment 272677

Jake lives in rural Alaska and for the last 15 years has been hunting and fishing all across the state. Jake’s obsession with hunting is rooted in the prize of a full freezer and the adventures which bring that meat home. As an Alaskan resident, Jake is blessed with the opportunity to hunt many of North America’s most iconic big game, spending 70+ days a year in the field, living out of his pack, and roaming the wilderness of Alaska. In addition to being a die-hard DIY hunter, he also guides for Hidden Alaska Outfitters, helping people have an Alaskan hunting experience of their dreams!

Give Jake a warm Rokslide welcome and let him know what you think of his article.
This is great! Looking forward to trying some of these on the next hunt. Keep posting new recipes!