DIY backpacking target?

Thinking about a lightweight target for the backcountry this year. Something that could burn so I wouldn’t need to carry it out, maybe cardboard box filled with pine needles and top soil, can shoot bh at it. Packs flat, then assemble at camp. Been playing around with some ideas. Anyone done something like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

OFFHNTN

WKR
You could do the same with a burlap bag, pillow case, etc. and it would pack lighter and smaller than cardboard. A bag wouldn't hold up as well or create as much friction for stopping arrows, but I'm not sure how much you'd be shooting at it either.

Brendan

WKR
Get a G5 small game head and an iron will collar. Shoot stumps, trees, grouse.

I have a similar arrow still going after 2 Elk trips...

OP
Topo_trekker
Ive tried that and finding the perfect stump for a compound setup is difficult, getting them out and no bending is the problem. Im usually camped at timberline, trees are warped and hardened by the weather.

Brendan

WKR
Ive tried that and finding the perfect stump for a compound setup is difficult, getting them out and no bending is the problem. Im usually camped at timberline, trees are warped and hardened by the weather.

I shoot a compound at 73 lbs, 505 gr arrow at 280 fps... Nailed a good number of grouse, stumps, trees, and haven't lost the first arrow yet. Obviously I'm not shooting rocks and real solid stuff though...

Maybe it's the G5 small game head that keeps it from penetrating?

Collar is important. Mine (Easton BAR) is never coming off that arrow...

OP
Topo_trekker
Yeah I’ve done the same in the past. Sometimes I get bored and want to get reps in. With collared arrows it’s usually the back that breaks when you start trying to get a dozen shots at trees a day. Just looking for a solution besides game heads.

Gumbo

WKR
I shoot sage, bushes, squirrels, pretty much whatever looks like a good target off and on throughout the day with old school judo points that have the little springy claws on them. I use arrows that have been dinged up in practice over the course of the year so I don't waste new ones. I don't shoot trees, solid stumps or rocks though. I always have one judo tipped arrow in my quiver (out of 5 total arrows) and carry a few extra arrows, tips, and broadheads on multi-day trips.

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like a couple bags full of loose dirt would be a good start. Just have to figure out how to keep it all from falling out. Maybe a bag inside a bag and then you spin/rotate the bag inside the outer bag to make the holes not line up any more. Maybe go to three burlap bags.

Beendare

WKR
Get yourself some of that fabric like Morrel uses on their bag targets and like some said fill with keaves, pine needles dirt, etc. home cheapo sells a light version for gardeners.

I just insert a washer behind an FP. Works good for grouse. Its usually not that hard to find a soft spot to shoot at..... though sometimes it isnt all that soft....

Wrench

WKR
Call justus bag co in spokaneand get a few bags. They're great targets. ....with that said, I've worn out several judo's and only broke a few shafts in the couple decades I've been stump shooting. Judos are awesome because your arrow WILL stop if it hits ANYTHING.

Some carry a smaller piece of 9# density ethafoam that is 2" thick...you can sit on for glassing as well. I bought ethafoam in the Denver area many years ago, but it sounds like it is discontinued., at least under that name.

I found this on Bowsite if you want to try the foam route:

"I was able to find 24"x24"x2" sheets of 9 lb foam on a website called foamforyou.com. Dow discontinued "ethafoam" so searching using "polyethylene foam" turned up better results.
Each sheet should make 4 small targets for less than $40 or $10 each. Each target generally last a couple hunts if shooting broadheads so two sheets should cover a several years..."

There is also a commercially sold "Backpacker Superlight" target from Grizz Targets out of Sundre, Alberta that weighs 3#s:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
When I pack camp in, I just forego any shooting until I'm ready to kill. I used to shoot some grouse and stump shoot, etc, but now I just focus on the elk. Another reason I like base camp better, I can pull out my target and do all the shooting I want.

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
When I pack camp in, I just forego any shooting until I'm ready to kill. I used to shoot some grouse and stump shoot, etc, but now I just focus on the elk. Another reason I like base camp better, I can pull out my target and do all the shooting I want.

Hopefully by the time the season has come, everyone has done enough shooting for it to be second nature. You don't want to be working on things in your technique while on a hunt and have to think about them when you have a bull in front of you.

Like changing your grip at the driving range while warming up for a round of golf...or something.

Spence14

WKR
Camofire has the 9” Rinehart field target for $25. I plan on getting one to make sure everything made the flight/drive still in tune when I get to camp.

I use two burlap sacks in my yard filled with Walmart bags. It's super heavy that way but a person could make a small one by doubling up the sack and filling it with dirt or whatever in the b.c. I have had one target for 5 years now and will have to re stuff it this year and put another bag around it but haven't had issues with arrows going thru untill the stuffing wasn't inside anymore if that makes sense