DIY bed roll

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
Have any of you guys done a DIY bed roll similar to something like the canvas cutter?

I ordered up some waterproof canvas fabric (shipping is slow due to the bullshit) and I plan I seeing it into a shape similar to the canvas cutter. I am also going to get the poles from canvas cutter and add a foam pad. Should be all in at about 125 bucks so a ton cheaper than a similar set up from canvas cutter.

Just checking to see if any of you have made anything similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kentucky

WKR
Well, not canvas cutter. But I have been rolling my 4 season thermarest, Sierra designs down bag, and military goretex bivy in one bags for years.. works great.

jmerc

FNG
Pretty similar to Kentucky above. I'll keep my North Face bag and deflated Klymit recon pad in a USMC goretex bivy for a quick camp setup. Separately it all packs much smaller though.

pk_

WKR
if You aren’t trying to be lightweight/packable...

I throw one of these in if I am truck camping or campground whatever...it is unreal comfy, I usually plop it on top of a standard cot. My original plan was to do a roll like you are doing I just never got around to it...

Simmons BeautySleep Siesta Memory Foam Mattress: Roll-Up Guest Bed/Floor Mat, 3" Single https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLCFI68/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_lYLNEbZFCGXBZ

plz update this thread with what you work out.

OP
S

Smash

Lil-Rokslider

I throw one of these in if I am truck camping or campground whatever...it is unreal comfy, I usually plop it on top of a standard cot. My original plan was to do a roll like you are doing I just never got around to it...

Simmons BeautySleep Siesta Memory Foam Mattress: Roll-Up Guest Bed/Floor Mat, 3" Single https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLCFI68/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_lYLNEbZFCGXBZ

Will do. That looks awesome and just might be the pad I put in it lol.

OP
S

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
So the biggest reason for wanting to do this is trying to be as mobile and efficient as possible when switching spots daily.

2 years ago when hunting in Utah we would pack in for a few days and cover ground moving every night.

Last year in Idaho the areas we were hunting we could cover the basins in a day and return to the truck at night. If we did like the sign we saw we would move that night to a new spot. So we slept in the truck a lot. Just reclined the seats and slept.

Driving out from Michigan we rent a truck to jot rack up miles on my personal truck. Plus I have been burned a couple of times with my truck breaking down on road trips. Normally not a huge deal but I don’t want to waste hunting time figuring out repairs towing etc. Nice to be able to just call up enterprise and tell them I need a new truck. I say this because if I was taking my truck every year I would put a cap on it and sleep on that. A bed roll like this with a tarp if it’s storming more would be very efficient for me allowing me to keep my backpacking gear in my pack and ready to roll the next morning.

I have also contemplated taking a trailer but decided I don’t want to deal with the hassle of a trailer since we take the rental trucks where the only other vehicles are side by sides ( not my truck haha).

Although in Idaho last year one crazy bastard had his focus pretty far back. He got it done in one weekend and was nice talking to him at night and the next day come up one him packing up the bull he shot.

Now that I got off topic and rambling. Ya I’m looking forward to this DIY project. I have never sewed anything before so looking forward to trying it out.

Will you still run a bag in the canvas or sew fleece inside it sleep in it sans bag unless super cold?

OP
S

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
My plan is to have a wool blanket and a sleeping bag in it so I can use different combinations depending on how cold I get. I don’t want to permanently affix any insulation to it so it doesn’t get two hot on warmer nights.

I might sew in some mesh to be able to keep it open and bugs out on nicer summer nights when on fishing trips.

Thanks for the link!

elkduds

WKR

How does this work in temps below freezing? Stiff and cold? Thanks in advance.

Have any of you guys done a DIY bed roll similar to something like the canvas cutter?

I ordered up some waterproof canvas fabric (shipping is slow due to the bullshit) and I plan I seeing it into a shape similar to the canvas cutter. I am also going to get the poles from canvas cutter and add a foam pad. Should be all in at about 125 bucks so a ton cheaper than a similar set up from canvas cutter.

Just checking to see if any of you have made anything similar?

in for the updates.

OP
S

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
in for the updates.

Would love to give updates but the Rona has my fabric on a delay apparently. If I get too antsy I might just order from somewhere else and make something else out of the canvas I already ordered.