DIY Bird Dog Training Videos/Resources?

Chet

FNG
Another recommendation for Standing Stone Kennels YouTube channel. I’ve used their resources to train my dog and he is doing great. Their training method is very intuitive. Looking forward to hunting season.

Last edited:

SW_VA

FNG
I’ve grouse hunted and owned English setters over 25 yrs. The best training videos I’ve ever seen (I’ve seen many) is Perfection kennels Perfect start and perfect Finish!

Mosby

WKR
I tried so hard to like them..... very "hey all you cool cats and kittens". Can't. Do. It.

Huntsmith DVD's have helped me out

I did too. They have some good information but I am too impatient to sit through a lot of their videos. I really don't like the Q & A videos where they drink while they talk and answer questions but that's me. I don't like all the back and forth between them while he drinks bourbon but they can't please everyone and its a free resource.

Ratspit

FNG
Look up Bill West and or Bill Gibbons. I've trained a few dogs using the West/Gibbons method and it is awesome. There is also a guy on the east coast by the name of Mo Lindley. He uses the West/Gibbons method and he has a book.

h8brick

FNG
What are your goals? Quarter on whistle? Follow hand commands? Whoa broke? Broke to flush? Broke to shot? Retrieve to hand?

There are always things to work on. All year every year throughout a hunting dogs life. I guide upland hunts with my dogs, 2-4 depending on what the wife allows in the house, and do some training as well as help clients handle their dogs.

The biggest thing I see is that 80% of clients dogs that are “great bird dogs” I couldn’t guide with without having to spend considerable time with. Less than 5% I would be comfortable taking and just guiding with.

Getting started at training again I would breeze back through all your commands first. Make sure they are 100%. No having to give a command twice, no matter the distractions, or wether on a short lead, checkcord (out to the entire length), and E collar. Don’t go forward till these are all 100% every time. These are 95% of a hunting dog and if you don’t have a solid foundation nothing else will really matter. How many times has the story of the guy with his amazing dog flushing birds at three miles from Antarctica while blowing through commands and an E collar set to elephant kill been told?

once you two have re established these then you are both already in the mind set of training again and will be more receptive for learning and giving new training. There are a lot of great videos on YouTube. Find one thing you want to work on for the next month and watch a few videos from different people. This will help you find you and your dogs style. We all have different ways we learn and communicate best you and your dog are no different. So it’ll help having a couple ways to teach the same thing in the back of your head. If you two hit a road block try a different way and then back off, recover a basic command to end on a good note and try again the next day.

good luck and have fun!
A trainer that you trust, one you can call or text got me over he top lots of times

AndrewMT34

Lil-Rokslider
I'm training my WPG puppy as well. The book that was highly recommended to me by the Breeder and multiple friends is "How to Help Gun Dogs Train Themselves" by Joan Bailey. It's a little old, but has been great for me.

m_willis

FNG
Since February, I've been regularly tuning into GDIY (gun dog it yourself) podcast episodes. Those guys are great, fun to listen to, and there are tons of good lessons and advice by the hosts and their guests. It seems to be gaining some traction and my feeling is it's about time....great stuff

Billinsd

WKR
Pefection Kennels has an outsanding reputation.. I am going to visit their kennel this year. Breeders I talked with recommended them highly. They are on YT and have dvd's for sale.
Perfection Kennels for diy DVD training. John answered some questions, problems I had. Smith Brothers are great! Evan Graham for force fetch, obedience training is best. Never give a command you can't enforce. Teach first, then train, make dog accountable. Use as few words as possible when training. Be consistent, don't get angry or show it. Keep lessons short. Train for success, quit on a positive note. Be fair. Stick with one method, don't confuse dog. That's the most important parts. Bill