DIY biscuits and gravy?

John pettimore

Lil-Rokslider
Love MTN house biscuits and gravy but When I eat any MTN house or I dont poop for a week. Has anyone tried making their own? I was thinking some dehydrated biscuits and sausage plus a pack of gravy from the store might work?

A.hol1

Lil-Rokslider
I bring lots of dried fruit and home made oatmeal bars with lots of fiber. Keeps things moving from the mountain house/peak fuel meals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be awesome.
Would you do homemade biscuits or one of those pop tube ones?
I wonder if you could get the gravy right with just dumping it in a foil bag.
Please give it a go and report back.

Magnus777

FNG
When I think of "dehydrated biscuits", I think of a bag of flower! Lol! And you don't need much else to make biscuits and gravy, besides a little baking powder, salt, and some oil or grease. Milk is helpful. Look up recipes for "drop biscuits"...Granny used to call them "Cathead Biscuits", because you drop a dollop of dough about the size of a cat head into a hot pan.
You can premix your dry ingredients in a container for packing. Carry a can or two of evaporated milk if you like. Rustle up a squirrel or rabbit if you're light on meat. There you go, breakfast!
Try it out at home to perfect your recipe and technique before heading out. You might just decide Cathead Biscuits and scratch gravy are the ONLY way to go! They were sure a favorite for my family at breakfast time!

*Now for a REALLY special breakfast time treat, as well as super easy, look up a recipe for Chocolate Gravy! I know those two words put together don't roll easily off the tongue for my Northern and Left Coast brothers and sisters...but once you figure it out, it'll be another favorite around the home, and in the camp!

BDRam16

WKR
I was debating just making some biscuits and gravy at home like normal, break up the biscuits into small bite size pieces and mix it in with the gravy, and dehydrate that concoction and put it in a zip lock. Wonder how it would turn out. I think I’ll try it next time if I have any leftovers and see how it turns out.

Moserkr

WKR
I would dehydrate the sausage/gravy mix separate from the biscuits. Biscuits i would break into chunks. Sausage gravy would be tricky due to the fat content in the sausage - spoils easier when its only dehydrated and not freeze dried. Sausage would have to be broken into the smallest pieces possible and dried thoroughly. For all the trouble to make it, Im not sure its worth it. But its doable and would be tastier than whatever is sold now. Maybe making a lean breakfast sausage from wild game like I do with elk, deer, and bear would dehydrate and store properly. I would still keep it in the freezer until its time to leave the house, as well as zip seal it with an oxygen absorbing pack.

Moserkr

WKR
Love MTN house biscuits and gravy but When I eat any MTN house or I dont poop for a week. Has anyone tried making their own? I was thinking some dehydrated biscuits and sausage plus a pack of gravy from the store might work?
I think you have the right idea for the easiest method there. Just watch that fat content in the sausage, i dont think store bought sausage would be worth it. Homemade would be a lot easier. Maybe bring a bit of bacon grease to add fat into the meal when you make it?

BDRam16

WKR
I would dehydrate the sausage/gravy mix separate from the biscuits. Biscuits i would break into chunks. Sausage gravy would be tricky due to the fat content in the sausage - spoils easier when its only dehydrated and not freeze dried. Sausage would have to be broken into the smallest pieces possible and dried thoroughly. For all the trouble to make it, Im not sure its worth it. But its doable and would be tastier than whatever is sold now. Maybe making a lean breakfast sausage from wild game like I do with elk, deer, and bear would dehydrate and store properly. I would still keep it in the freezer until its time to leave the house, as well as zip seal it with an oxygen absorbing pack.
Maybe just a seasoned pound of wild ground meat and milk/flour gravy instead of using a permafrost pork sausage roll?

Moserkr

WKR
Maybe just a seasoned pound of wild ground meat and milk/flour gravy instead of using a permafrost pork sausage roll?
Yup. Id do the seasoned wild meat with little or zero added fat. The packet of store bought packet gravy would be easier than making your own, but homemade would taste better. So going the easy route, youre just cooking and dehydrating the meat and biscuits. Id bring a tablespoon of bacon grease separate to add when rehydrating. Fat is an important energy source out there. It just freeze dries better than it dehydrates.

Im really digging this idea cause biscuits n gravy are my favorite back country breakfast. The peak refuel b&g was good, but its not like what you get at home.