DIY Bow Maintenance on a budget?

philcox

WKR
Questions about DYI bow maintenance:
  • Is there a portable bow press that you all would recommend?
  • Should someone get a fixed bow press, or will the portables work for most home DYIers?
  • If you have a press do you need a vice?

I’d love to hear your thoughts on minimum set of a equipment you need to properly DYI bow maintenance. And then what you would consider the minimum quality components. Essentially “DIY Bow Maintenance on a budget

thx

jt4

WKR
I bought a cheap bike stand, bow master press, a set of levels, and the allens I already have. I can do just about everything I need, including changing strings.

Would things be quicker and easier with a solid press?.....yes

52abcdf22f3a2056095d9be167e909d9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

motts

Lil-Rokslider
I started with a bowmaster press initially and no vise - that's about as basic as you could possibly make it to get by. I eventually got a "Spewing Jason" vise off Archerytalk, which was a big step up.

I now have a LCA Easy Green press, an OMP bow vise, arrow saw, etc. If you can only afford something like a bowmaster, start there and work your way up (or, if you're mechanically inclined, consider building yourself a press; lots of info online). I don't regret starting out the way I did with what I could afford at the time, but if I had the money to (or saved up a little longer) I would get the stuff I have now as it has made everything significantly easier.