DIY coffee roaster

OP
Clarktar

Clarktar

WKR
Nice! Can you add a photo of the beans when they’re roasted?
Here you go.
d42ce8632b2ae674b637cdd5c9a6a71e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
Clarktar

Clarktar

WKR
Thanks! I'm going to grind some Monday morning and try it.

WKR
This is awesome. How long did you have to let that run?

OP
Clarktar

Clarktar

WKR
This is awesome. How long did you have to let that run?
13 to 14 minutes. Next time I think 12 minutes might be better. It went just a bit longer than I wanted. Or I will just roast outside where it is well below freezing!!

Reactions: 9.1
OP
Clarktar

Clarktar

WKR
A cast iron pan on a stove top or over a camp fire seems to work pretty good for me
Yep, and a person can wear blue jeans, a flannel, and go hunting with a 300$ Ruger rifle.

OP
Clarktar

Clarktar

WKR
Hey any updates on how the coffee turned out? You’ll have to explore with roasting time and bean type to get it all dialed in.
Not bad. I need to cut my roast time down. I failed to realize how much more the beans would "roast" even once removed from my contraption. This attempt had about 30-40% of beans roasted to the point I wanted (dark brown with oily surface). The other 70-70% came about black almost burnt. Flavor is not bad but I can taste some burnt.

I'll roast again tomorrow or Friday. This time around I will have a cookie sheet sitting in the snow and dump beans on it outside. Should work as a heat sink to retard the continued roasting.

LostArra

WKR
West Bend Poppery II gets the job done for me. It looks like your capacity is greater though.
How much green coffee per batch?

OP
Clarktar

Clarktar

WKR
West Bend Poppery II gets the job done for me. It looks like your capacity is greater though.
How much green coffee per batch?
The batch in the video was 15oz.

LostArra

WKR
That is about three times the size of a popcorn popper batch.

If you are getting uneven roast you might reduce the amount and see if it comes out more even.
More beans = more mass of heat. Also, dumping the beans just a hair early helps too because of retained heat. Kind of like meat still cooking after it's off the grill.

My preferred roast is Full City, just before oil appears on the beans (maybe one or two). But that is the great part of home roasting, you can try the type of bean you want and the type of roast you want.
Surprisingly simple too.

Do you happen to have pic of this inside design on the roaster without beans in it? Might look into building one myself. Love me a good fresh coffee.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

OP
Clarktar

Clarktar

WKR
Clarktar, where you buying 300 dollar Ruger rifles at, I might go shopping.
Last one was in Montana. But that was before covid and the rise in the consumer price index.