DIY coffee roaster

OP
Clarktar

Clarktar

WKR
Do you happen to have pic of this inside design on the roaster without beans in it? Might look into building one myself. Love me a good fresh coffee.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Here you go. I found a DIY build on sweet Maria's. I think you could find it by googling DIY roaster Cotton.
21cddffcb29ec45e86301b3eacb075d3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That's a pretty sweet rig. What type/temp or heat gun are you using? I had considered making one with a heat gun but I am still using my old popcorn popper

I used to have a drum roaster that I sold for some high dollar skis. Then I sold those skis for a vxr28. I no longer have my Mathews LX. I think I should have kept the roaster and the LX

OP
Clarktar

Clarktar

WKR
That's a pretty sweet rig. What type/temp or heat gun are you using? I had considered making one with a heat gun but I am still using my old popcorn popper
I opted for the dual setting drill master Magnus heat gun. Heralded for it's durability and output (kidding, it's likely a POS but I bought it from harbor freight years ago and it won't die).

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
How’s your coffee been turning out?

Roasted a batch while on vacation from Kona. Coffee turned out amazing. Got a jar full of roasted beans now that should last me a couple weeks. Loving this flavor.

C3DA2600-09CD-4192-82ED-B959C3B465A3.jpeg

OP
Clarktar

Clarktar

WKR
How’s your coffee been turning out?

Roasted a batch while on vacation from Kona. Coffee turned out amazing. Got a jar full of roasted beans now that should last me a couple weeks. Loving this flavor.

View attachment 362565
How does a jar last you a couple weeks!! My wife and I use 7-8 scoops of coffee every morning to brew a pot in the Mocca Master. Basically go through a 1lb every 7 days.

Coffee has been great! I tried roasting at medium roast levels. But that level of roast just doesn't result in a "thick" enough brew and often has a tangy/sour taste. I took some of those medium roasted beans and roasted them again closer to a full city roast and I like the flavor more and the coffee seems like more of a mouthful (not just tanin colored water).

Haven't had any particular bean that knocked my socks off yet. But the coffee is good and my bill is lower.

OP
Clarktar

Clarktar

WKR
I found this stove top roaster at a yard sale years ago for a couple bucks. I just thought it looked cool and it’s always just been in the kitchen. This makes me want to mess around with it…View attachment 362594
Give it a go! Looks like it might corral all the husks that come off.

I roast on our deck. Sometimes single digit temps. My neighbors laugh as I'm out there in shorts and puffy jacket watching some wierd machine for about 10 minutes.

This one is mine, it started life as a pretty normal whirly popper, but I got tired of cranking it years ago and added a motor. A bit later I augmented the stove top heat with the heat gun, mostly so I could run it with more beans. When I'm worrying from home we go through about two pounds a week, but when I'm in the office it's a fair bit less.

16411810213982619170664425104645.jpg

I had a bit of a sad discovery last night. I had tried something a bit different with the last batch and I checked on the smell yesterday evening and it smelled flat. I was pretty bummed, I must have botched the whole two pound batch.

Then I remembered the last coffee had been tasting funny for a couple of days, and I have been sick with the rona. So on a hunch I grabbed my pure peppermint oil extract which is normally smelly enough to knock your socks off. Nothing. Stupid Covid, I seem to be able to taste mostly normal but my smell is entirely gone... Sad times for a coffee roaster

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I had a bit of a sad discovery last night. I had tried something a bit different with the last batch and I checked on the smell yesterday evening and it smelled flat. I was pretty bummed, I must have botched the whole two pound batch.

Then I remembered the last coffee had been tasting funny for a couple of days, and I have been sick with the rona. So on a hunch I grabbed my pure peppermint oil extract which is normally smelly enough to knock your socks off. Nothing. Stupid Covid, I seem to be able to taste mostly normal but my smell is entirely gone... Sad times for a coffee roaster
Aw man. Sucks. I’m dealing with it right now myself as well. Been about 5 days now without being able to fully taste or smell. Still there slightly but very minimal taste. Haven’t even drank coffee because it just tastes like hot water.

OP
Clarktar

Clarktar

WKR

Bummer! Roasters against Rona (RAR)! A new 501c, please make donation to my PayPal!

LostArra

WKR
I found this stove top roaster at a yard sale years ago for a couple bucks. I just thought it looked cool and it’s always just been in the kitchen. This makes me want to mess around with it…View attachment 362594
Have you roasted coffee before?
If that is a stove top roaster to be used indoors be prepared for SMOKE (high powered range hood fan helps) and chaff blowing around. That looks to be enclosed but when you open it to check on the roast level that chaff drifts everywhere. Chaff getting down on the heating element could be a small fire hazard.
I would definitely fire that thing up but on an outdoor heat source. Great find!

Coffee has been great! I tried roasting at medium roast levels. But that level of roast just doesn't result in a "thick" enough brew and often has a tangy/sour taste. I took some of those medium roasted beans and roasted them again closer to a full city roast and I like the flavor more and the coffee seems like more of a mouthful (not just tanin colored water).
Agree 100% on the medium roast. I'm Full City all the way.
For even more body on the Mocca Master if I have the time I let the filter basket with ground coffee fill with hot water, stir it and turn the brewer off. Let that first fill steep for a minute or two then open the filter basket and resume the brew for the entire pot.

OP
Clarktar

Clarktar

WKR
If that is a stove top roaster to be used indoors be prepared for SMOKE (high powered range hood fan helps) and chaff blowing around. That looks to be enclosed but when you open it to check on the roast level that chaff drifts everywhere. Chaff getting down on the heating element could be a small fire hazard.
I would definitely fire that thing up but on an outdoor heat source. Great find!

For even more body on the Mocca Master if I have the time I let the filter basket with ground coffee fill with hot water, stir it and turn the brewer off. Let that first fill steep for a minute or two then open the filter basket and resume the brew for the entire pot.
So, do you watch the basket fill with water, then as soon as you start hearing drips into the carafe, you pull the carafe (to stop the dripping)? Then let is sit for a little bit, give a stir and then replace carafe and let it resume?

LostArra

WKR
So, do you watch the basket fill with water, then as soon as you start hearing drips into the carafe, you pull the carafe (to stop the dripping)? Then let is sit for a little bit, give a stir and then replace carafe and let it resume?

Yes watch it fill but I don't have to pull the carafe. My basket has a lever that will close the flow. It can also reduce the flow so it fills slower for smaller volume pots.

Warning: never forget to open the valve when the brewer is working. You will have coffee everywhere, My machine is pretty old so maybe they eliminated the valve/lever.

The basket looks like this:

Thanks for the advice, I too was thinking it would probably be best to do outside on a camp stove. Should be interesting to mess around with

OP
Clarktar

Clarktar

WKR
Well, -6 , -10 degrees F ambient air temp seems to be where my little setup just can't produce the heat needed for full city/ dark roast.

slick

WKR
And here I thought my French press, aeropress and chemex were semi fancy.

You guys take your coffee up a notch. Just another money suck.

OP
Clarktar

Clarktar

WKR
And here I thought my French press, aeropress and chemex were semi fancy.

You guys take your coffee up a notch. Just another money suck.
It's actually a cost savings of about 68% (this does not take into account the 15 minutes of energy consumption). I roasted beans are inexpensive compared to the price for decent coffee at the grocer.

BBob

WKR
Modified West Bend Poppery roaster here. Source beans mostly from Sweet Maria'a and mostly roast for espresso. I'm probably way ahead now on costs compared to what I used to spend on premium espresso roasts shipped in from the good roasters.