DIY Colorado elk

Long time reader...first time poster looking for some advice.

Any honey hole GPS coordinates for a successful DIY elk hunt? No? Well I tried.

Intro: live in North Louisiana. I live to hunt, fish, and camp. Got two young boys I love getting out in the woods and on the water with me. I'm passionate about archery, especially traditional archery. Ive shot longbows and recurves for 30 years, but I got a compound I hunt with occasionally too. I also just got into building and hunting with self bows.

I wanted to start going on a yearly DIY archery elk hunt. When I got serious about it, my buddy suggested I start by going with him and his dad on a 2nd rifle hunt to see what I was getting myself into. We hunted the Grand Mesa 411. I went three years in a row. I killed a nice mule deer the first year and a small one the 3rd year. Saw some big bucks the 2nd year, but didn't have a tag. In those three years I saw a total of four elk. One big bull and two cows the last evening of the 1st year. I only had a cow tag, but of course the bull is the only one that stopped in the open. The second year, I saw one in pretty much the same area. It was too late and I couldn't tell exactly what it was. I haven't been in a few years now, but I'm missing the mountains and I'm planning my trip for next year.

I thought about trying a different area, but I feel like in the 3 years I hunted 411 I learned a good bit. I found lots of rubs and elk sign I assume was from the rut. Makes me think an earlier hunt might be better. I didn't feel like 2nd rifle was overly crowded where I was. With 2 PP, would yall suggest going back to the same areas I'm already familiar with and try and draw an archery, muzzleloader, or first rifle tag? I'd love to go back with my selfbow and just spend time in the woods, but it being my fourth trip I'd also like to have the best chance I can. The elk and elk sign I found were not terribly deep as it seems you can't get too deep with all the atv trails. What would yall do? Stick with 2nd rifle, use my points to try and get an earlier tag and hunt the areas I think they may be earlier in the season, or try a different unit all together for a change of scenery? Thanks!

OP
T
Probably best to find a high fence operation in TX to save on gas and effort.
To each their own. High fences do not interest me. I don't need to kill to have a great time, just looking for advice from those more knowledgeable than I am. Spending a week in the mountains is special in itself. I would like to make educated decisions though to better my chances at bringing home an elk.

Gerbdog

WKR
dont leave elk to find elk. If you know there are elk in there, and you can get in with the points you have, not sure why you would leave. If your seeing rubs in the area as you said, good chance theyre in there during september.

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
dont leave elk to find elk. If you know there are elk in there, and you can get in with the points you have, not sure why you would leave. If your seeing rubs in the area as you said, good chance theyre in there during september.
This. Just keep ripping it my man

OP
T
Thats kind of what I thinking. Is it worth burning my points to get in an earlier season in 411? Also, cows are in there. Still some in the 2nd season. I've read elk don't like areas with cows, but the elk, elk rubs, and elk sign I've seen are in areas that also had lots of cow trails and cow manure. Thanks for the reply

OP
T
Also, any other Grand Mesa advice? How do the earlier season crowds compare to 2nd rifle? I know access is easy with the roads and trails. Thats why i have been surprised at the areas Ive found sign being a pretty easy walk from the trail. Of course, I've also walked miles and miles in areas with nothing. Thanks everyone!

I work on the other side of the Grand Mesa. Colorado OTC elk hunting is a joke, too much pressure due to the revenue generated by all of the out of state tags issued. Success rate statistics are out there and are very low.

wardl_3

Lil-Rokslider
Stick to solid info you have gathered. Choose based off it. Grand mesa units have been great the past 5 yrs for us. Places are packed with human, others are not. We have pulled 3 bulls from the area and missed 3 easy opportunities on cows, as well as passing on some elk.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely - stick to the areas you know! Once you learn an area you don't have to waste a bunch of time "e-scouting" and your so much more efficient when you get there. I personally really enjoy 2nd season, I would think just bouncing between 1st and 2nd rifle when you draw/don't draw is a good strategy.

OP
T
Thanks for the advice. It seems like a solid plan to use the knowledge I have of the area and continue to expand on that every year.

Poser

WKR
Thats kind of what I thinking. Is it worth burning my points to get in an earlier season in 411? Also, cows are in there. Still some in the 2nd season. I've read elk don't like areas with cows, but the elk, elk rubs, and elk sign I've seen are in areas that also had lots of cow trails and cow manure. Thanks for the reply

Moo cow and elk relationships depend largely on the matriarch’s history with cattle. Some elk don’t care, others very much care. There’s no hard rule.