DIY Cylinder Stove Advice?

hjcruger

FNG
Hi, all. Eventually, I plan on making my own cylinder stove based on what is said at this link: My DIY Cylinder stove - Backpacking Light. I was wondering if anyone else has undertaken a project like this? Any tips for putting holes for a damper in the stovepipe? Any clever ways to put in a spark arrestor above the damper? Any and all tips are appreciated.

reaper

WKR
Jusy finished a DIY stove for my sister,i made a collar kifaru style with damper pretty easy.Only the front plate is not from me.
abbbf5138aa8f566f25af6ea7d59101a.jpg
39f0326be94165c8407745d329c83ecb.jpg
d435f2e3910a3517847df0d8f15425b7.jpg
be336a9392c913cc586a03c2298b9459.jpg
a45f0a23551c26d6c23d96617c42cc72.jpg

Envoyé de mon E6560C en utilisant Tapatalk

OP
hjcruger

hjcruger

FNG
That looks great, Reaper. Does the stovepipe slide over the top of the damper piece and rest on the rivets that seem to hold the collars up as well? I'm not super familiar with different stove designs, but I like what you've done. I might try to make the cuts for the damper and spark arrestor right into the pipe. The less pieces for me to lose, the better. Thanks for the pics.

reaper

WKR
Yes the top rivets are for the pipe and botom rivets for the stove...the important thing to help the system is to make sure the stove jack cut for the pipe is tight and keep the pipe in place,it help to not create a pression on the collar and all the stove system,its the problem with the cylinder stoves.

OP
hjcruger

hjcruger

FNG
I see what you're saying about the pressure on the collar at the bottom. Perhaps a set of 4 rivets facing out at the bottom of the pipe would still allow me to keep the stovepipe in one piece while keeping pressure off the bottom collar. Thanks to everyone for the info thus far!

Beendare

WKR
Easy to make...I made one years ago. FYI, that hardware adds up in weight. The hinges and latch can all be fabricated from the SS shim. No pics on this computer.

And double your spark arrestors....have one both top and bottom....those tents burn easy

reaper

WKR
I see what you're saying about the pressure on the collar at the bottom. Perhaps a set of 4 rivets facing out at the bottom of the pipe would still allow me to keep the stovepipe in one piece while keeping pressure off the bottom collar. Thanks to everyone for the info thus far!
You mean rivets on the pipe?Youll have hard time to roll it for storage?

OP
hjcruger

hjcruger

FNG
You mean rivets on the pipe?Youll have hard time to roll it for storage?

The rivets would only affect the last inch or so of the pipe since only one row of rivets will be needed to hold the pipe up. When rolled, the pipe will have a row of rivets sticking out at the end of the shimstock, but I don't think that should create any problems. Let me know what you think.

OP
hjcruger

hjcruger

FNG
Easy to make...I made one years ago. FYI, that hardware adds up in weight. The hinges and latch can all be fabricated from the SS shim. No pics on this computer.

And double your spark arrestors....have one both top and bottom....those tents burn easy

I never thought of manufacturing the hardware myself. I'm not much of a craftsman when it comes to metals, but it may be worth a shot. Thanks for the idea. And two spark arrestors isn't such a bad idea either. Cheap insurance for sure.

Beendare

WKR
I never thought of manufacturing the hardware myself. I'm not much of a craftsman when it comes to metals, but it may be worth a shot. Thanks for the idea. And two spark arrestors isn't such a bad idea either. Cheap insurance for sure.
Yeah a little shim stock latch and hinge keep the weight down on those.

I used the SS wire rings on the pipe and the barrel of the stove. Once the main body barrel is formed around the flange on those Ss or Ti plates [I used the Ti], its pretty strong. The pipe will need an interior ring on top and bottom to hold shape against the pressure of the outer SS wire.

NHBacon

FNG
I can't find the SS stock on Tigoat. What gauge SS stock do we use? Grainger has some high temp SS foil. Will this work.