DIY Decked

OP

22Jdub

Lil-Rokslider
Any moisture issues with that carpeted tailgate yet? I have a topper and a decked, they both get wet a lot.

My topper had a good seal. Theres a small amount of moisture if it rains hard on the corners of the gate but it's a very small amount and it drys quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pn8hall

WKR
I have had this box in 4 different trucks now. Its probably 15 years old. It has 8 ft long drawers and as you can see they self support fully extended. I have had 1000lbs of concrete on top of it multiple times. For the bottom of the box I put formica laminate down the middle of each drawer section. On the bottom of the drawer I used 1 1/2” x 3/8” strips of solid oak that is glued and attached with countersunk screws. Make sure the screws cant touch the formica and tear it up otherwise you are asking for trouble. I use paste furniture wax on the oak runners and the formica as far in as I can reach. Maybe 2-3 times a year. . Each drawer fully loaded weighs about 250 lbs each (I have weighed them) so all in I carry about 600 lbs every day. The drawers slide like butter with the wax. They get hard to push reapply some wax. The only thing i have had to do in the last 15 years is replace the 1st 2ft of laminate inside each drawer box due to it finally wearing a groove. The whole unit just sits in the bed of the truck. Its not attached at all. Surely you can get quite elaborate if you want but not overcomplicating it works just as well if it suits your needs also.

Attachments

• E785E626-CF64-4CD0-8D94-C3D44CD40888.jpeg
    E785E626-CF64-4CD0-8D94-C3D44CD40888.jpeg
    475 KB · Views: 231
  • EF308B9F-B086-4942-AF5A-287B9B674127.jpeg
    EF308B9F-B086-4942-AF5A-287B9B674127.jpeg
    527.9 KB · Views: 232
Adding mine since I find these threads helpful when I'm looking for different ideas, and there are some great ideas on here. I wanted mine to be removable and as light as possible. The first picture shows the "frame" and drawers inserted (without end pieces attached.) The drawers are on furniture sliders and slide out when I want to remove from them from the bed. I made the drawer partitions specific lengths, so I could fit flyrod tubes on the left and my stove on the right then I stuff the rest of my shit in the remaining space. For the top I cut two sheets of plywood and wrapped them in the cheap marine carpet from HD. There is a small gap (2") from the end of the drawers to the inside of the tailgate, and I usually just stuff an old outdoor rug or packing blanket there that I take with me on trips. I've got a topper now and the wife and I have slept back there multiple days on trips. Really like seeing everyone else's projects, keep up the good work.

Attachments

• 61619314785__FD3B1011-C55B-47BE-9F5C-45B68F4FE878.JPG
    61619314785__FD3B1011-C55B-47BE-9F5C-45B68F4FE878.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_1394 (1).jpg
    IMG_1394 (1).jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_1393.jpg
    IMG_1393.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Mine is only on one side. Leaves room for my 145 RTIC cooler on the opposite side which I can access through the topper window. It’s 8” deep and I can fit all my recovery gear and backup base camp plus some propane and a Coleman stove.

0082baef3a709a9289ea3de210911815.jpg

beejwest

FNG
Awesome ideas! I've just been rocking two pieces of OSB on top of the 2x10's that run cross-wise. Makes getting to the forward "compartments" a PITA.

Pn8hall

WKR
It really is a game changer for organizing things and making use of space. Very simple to make with just some basic tools. You definitely can get quite elaborate with it but a basic model will get the job done. I am a finish carpenter/cabinet maker and have never upgraded my basic setup after 15 years or so of use not because I dont have the skills rather than the damn thing just works. Good luck to anyone taking on this project. You will not be disappointed whatever route you choose.

stvnshnn

Lil-Rokslider
Planning a long road trip this summer from Alaska. If anyone has more pictures or advice on a DIY project similar to this, now that you’ve made one and used it for a while, let me know!
This looks like a great idea. Thank you to those of you that already posted.

Planning a long road trip this summer from Alaska. If anyone has more pictures or advice on a DIY project similar to this, now that you’ve made one and used it for a while, let me know!
This looks like a great idea. Thank you to those of you that already posted.

My brother made similar drawers to these but used skateboard bearings that worked really well. He used it for his plumbing truck and had it loaded down pretty good. I think he used unistrut for the rails that it rode on.

OP

22Jdub

Lil-Rokslider
I've used this for a full hunting season now and no complaints. I don't think I would change a thing. Could use wheels or bearings for the drawers but the combination of the bed rug and the furniture sliders worked great. With the drawers completely full they are still very easy to pull in and out.

8c087811e9513d58d5a0fec2eb7c6eca.jpg

I was going through this thread and figured I would bring it back up to the top. I don't have a topper on my truck anymore but use a kodiak canvas truck tent to camp in the back. I was thinking about DIYing something up like this thread. Those that have made a DIY version of decked, do you think you could make one to hold an atv? I like that idea and right now, decked is out of any budget I would hope to have. ha

I was going through this thread and figured I would bring it back up to the top. I don't have a topper on my truck anymore but use a kodiak canvas truck tent to camp in the back. I was thinking about DIYing something up like this thread. Those that have made a DIY version of decked, do you think you could make one to hold an atv? I like that idea and right now, decked is out of any budget I would hope to have. ha
I think I would use a 2x 10-12 etc, how ever high you want your drawers.
Then I would make the runners the length of the truck, the same width as the atv.

That way the tires of the atv would be rite on top of the 2x12
If that makes since.

I think I would use a 2x 10-12 etc, how ever high you want your drawers.
Then I would make the runners the length of the truck, the same width as the atv.

That way the tires of the atv would be rite on top of the 2x12
If that makes since.
Thanks! Yes it does. I appreciate the advice/recommendation. Its not a big atv but ideally it would be great to be able to haul it in the back.