DIY Dehydrated Meal Storage

dlee56

WKR
What's the best way to store DIY dehydrated meals? Vac seal, plain ziploc, mylar bags?

I've been toying around with both plain ziplocs and vac seal bags, its nice to be able to reseal the bags but I'm sure the vac seal also helps with the shelf life.

Are there such things as resealable vac seal bags?

Apollo117

WKR
How long are you trying to keep the meals fresh? If it's just for the duration of a hunt then a Ziploc and an oxygen absorber may be fine.

Any longer and mylar bags with oxygen absorbers are the way to go.

OP
dlee56

dlee56

WKR
How long are you trying to keep the meals fresh? If it's just for the duration of a hunt then a Ziploc and an oxygen absorber may be fine.

Any longer and mylar bags with oxygen absorbers are the way to go.
Probably for a year or so, I'll look into Mylar thanks! Do you like to freeze them or are they pretty stable on the shelf?

Apollo117

WKR
Probably for a year or so, I'll look into Mylar thanks! Do you like to freeze them or are they pretty stable on the shelf?
Welcome. I like to freeze them until right before I need them. I've read that they should be fine for up to six months at room temperature, but I haven't tested that for each of my recipes yet.

sweetroll

FNG
We also freeze ours in ziplocks. They last a year that way, at least. Haven’t had any for longer than that yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John pettimore

Lil-Rokslider
I listened to a podcast about this with one of the small cottage meal makers that had their dehydrated meals tested. As I understand it, after a year they weren’t bad like spoiled or foul taste but had lost a lot of their nutritional value. I only know what was said but if a professional says this about their meals I follow the same guidelines for my own and try not to make them more than a few months in advance.

OP
dlee56

dlee56

WKR
I listened to a podcast about this with one of the small cottage meal makers that had their dehydrated meals tested. As I understand it, after a year they weren’t bad like spoiled or foul taste but had lost a lot of their nutritional value. I only know what was said but if a professional says this about their meals I follow the same guidelines for my own and try not to make them more than a few months in advance.
That's a good thing to keep in mind. What's the point if you cant get any nutrition out of them ha.

I go the vacuum seal route to keep things fresh.
cabelas sells a resealable vacuum bag that I like using for jerky and pepperoni. Provided I don’t eat the whole damn bag at once

I make meals months in advance, vac sealed and frozen. Take them out of the freezer and into my pack. Good for 2 weeks no problem. I make the vac seal bags a few inches long, so when I pour the boiling water in, I can roll the top and clip a bag clip to keep it closed and stable while it cooks.