DIY dehydrated meals

Anybody dehydrate their own meals for backpacking? If so drop them below! Looking at starting this. Also, how do you package them?

sweetroll

FNG
A favorite is blue box Mac and cheese. Cook the noodles, dehydrate them, add some cheese sauce and milk powder and some dried sausage.

Also did eggs a different way this year - get a dehydrator that goes to 165deg and you can straight up dry mixed eggs on parchment paper. Came out great.

We package all our stuff in freezer pint ziplocks. It handles the abuse of the dried food and the hot water for rehydrating really well. One nice thing is you don’t have to boil water in the field - just get it hot. Saves time and stove fuel.

Check out Recipes for Adventure. Great basics and recipes on drying. The Excalibur dryer is worth every penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clarence

WKR
Pretty extensive thread on this already. I get resealable mylar bags that stand up on Amazon. Not the lightest option, but they hold the heat well and are handy.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

WKR
Taco meat. Looks like cheap kitty kibble when done correctly. Use very lean meat and keep in freezer. Good for at least a week on the trail in desert conditions.

Salsa is an easy one too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Clarence

WKR
Dehydrated guacamole and salsa for taco night on the mountain. Like to throw some Dehydrated refried beans in with taco meat. A little coija cheese and a few tortillas and your set! I freeze the guacamole until I leave for the trip. The other items I have had sit for six months and still was good. (Stored in mylar bags with o2 packs)

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

OkayestHNTR

Lil-Rokslider
I did all but three of my meals DIY. Some of the favorites were a buffalo cheddar shredded chicken with noodles and beef polenta with green beans. Another quick and easy option is dehydrating cans of chili.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk Pro