DIY dehydrated question

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Gents-

I've seen many threads, articles on DIY, recipes, links etc. I have never attempted it.

Here is my SPECIFIC question-

Can I make chili as I normally do, then put in dehydrator? The one thing I would change is cutting any and all fat out as I'm aware of that issue. (we like to put spicy sausage in ours) However, outside of that, is there any reason it wouldn't turn out good? Anything I'm overlooking?

Thanks

BBob

WKR
Even if you cut fat but have fatty meat in it it can go rancid after it's dehydrated and stored at room temp. If you have meat in it store it in the freezer until you're ready to go. I've done that and had no problems. Some of my meals I dehydrate the meat separate, vac bag it and store that in the freezer until the trip.

wmr89

Lil-Rokslider
Cutting the fat out will help increase shelf life but you can get away with some fat if you are going to eat in relatively soon.

Your ground meats will rehydrate better if you mix in some bread crumbs when cooking them. I have had some trouble getting larger whole beans (like Kidney beans) to rehydrate so the next time I try to dehydrate my own chili I think I am going to let is cook for longer than I normally would so the beans break down a bit more or just stick with smaller beans.

Other than that it is pretty straight forward.

Felix40

WKR
Make sure you try to rehydrate some before you go. I don’t have the patience to wait 3x as long for dinner when I am hunting. I just want to eat as soon as possible and go to bed. Dehydrated food didn’t work for me because of that.

No problem at all. Use leaner ground meat (wild game work great or the leaner beef). Premix ground meat with breadcrumbs.

One of my favorites is chili mac. Dehydrate your chili & cook the noodles from easy mac and then dehydrate those. Put everything in a bag and it rehydrates nicely, is delicious and filling