DIY Down Quilt

Here is my DIY down quilt. I sleep cold so I went a little overboard trying to make this quilt as warm as possible. I used this foil backed fabric hoping that would help improve how warm it was. IMG_20210328_122800971.jpg
This fabric was pretty pricy at 26$ a yard, but I figured I was saving some money making it myself so I went for it. I used some lightweight mesh for the baffles and cut them into 3.5 inch strips before sewing onto the fabric.
IMG_20210328_142551497.jpg
The most difficult part of sewing this project is dealing with all the extra fabric. I found that rolling it up and clipping it with some binder clips really helped.
IMG_20210328_124437013_HDR.jpg
I didn't take any more pictures during the project but the next steps were hemming the edges then sewing the inner fabric to the baffles and sewing shut on three edges before adding the down and sewing the final edge shut.
received_198534355407466.jpeg
received_179413090658717.jpegreceived_278658710406642.jpeg
I was able to use this quilt the whole season and haven't had a cold night out in the field yet. I had already made this stuff sack practicing my sewing it fit easily and will pack down smaller if needed. This project was pretty fun and only took an afternoon to sew up. I decided to not sew in a foot box so I could wrap up in it while glassing in the morning. Total weight is about 23 ounces and the cost for this project was about $250.

Mt Al

WKR
Nice work! Would you mind sharing where you got the fabric and if you used someone's patterns? Looks like a great project, thanks for sharing and providing motivation!

OP
hechterooskie
I bought the foiled fabric vs75 and the mesh from questoutfitters.com the inner fabric was argon 90 from dutchwaregear.com and the down was 16 ounces of 900 fill power water resistant treated from loosegoosedownsupply.com
I didnt follow any pattern just looked around at what other people have done and made my own.

Can’t you buy one for that price? Just wondering what the benefit is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
hechterooskie
The foil fabric is interesting. Does it seem breathable at all?
Not really. When I use it glassing in the morning it pretty much blocks all the wind. I didn't have a problem with moisture this past season either. I'm not sure how much the foil helps keep the heat in but I'm sure it doesn't hurt.

#like

16oz of 900 fill for $250.... winning
When are we getting a cold weather review.. do we need to sponsor a trip to northern Alberta so we can see how cold its rated for?

OP
hechterooskie
When are we getting a cold weather review.. do we need to sponsor a trip to northern Alberta so we can see how cold its rated for?
😂😂😂 I'll pay for shipping the quilt if you guys cover the plane ticket for the poor SOB who tests it out.

Dash

FNG
Nice sewing skills. Looks great! Would certainly be curious how the foil backed fabric impacts performance.

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
Dang dude. Good stuff.

I want to learn to sew. I’m interested in reupholstering mid century furniture.

Clarktar

WKR
I'll pay for shipping the quilt if you guys cover the plane ticket for the poor SOB who tests it out.
Mail it up here and I'll sleep out in the snow in it when we hit single digits and report back!

Great job.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mckee11

FNG
Here is my DIY down quilt. I sleep cold so I went a little overboard trying to make this quilt as warm as possible. I used this foil backed fabric hoping that would help improve how warm it was. View attachment 372115
This fabric was pretty pricy at 26$ a yard, but I figured I was saving some money making it myself so I went for it. I used some lightweight mesh for the baffles and cut them into 3.5 inch strips before sewing onto the fabric.
View attachment 372119
The most difficult part of sewing this project is dealing with all the extra fabric. I found that rolling it up and clipping it with some binder clips really helped.
View attachment 372120
I didn't take any more pictures during the project but the next steps were hemming the edges then sewing the inner fabric to the baffles and sewing shut on three edges before adding the down and sewing the final edge shut.
View attachment 372121
View attachment 372123View attachment 372122
I was able to use this quilt the whole season and haven't had a cold night out in the field yet. I had already made this stuff sack practicing my sewing it fit easily and will pack down smaller if needed. This project was pretty fun and only took an afternoon to sew up. I decided to not sew in a foot box so I could wrap up in it while glassing in the morning. Total weight is about 23 ounces and the cost for this project was about $250.
Nice work