DIY Dyneema "Gundom"

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I made one with silnylon for myself. They are great.

For you guys who were on the list, watch Rokslide when I get signed on as a commercial sponsor. Won't be in this thread though. This is exactly on my list of things I DIYed but figured more would want. This just confirmed it.

@TomJoad I can pick up the project for those without a machine... hope I don't step on toes.

I will contribute with a tutorial for you guys who want to make your own. Ripstop by the roll is a great resource.

Funny I actually started with rolltop. I made one years ago and it worked great but was much bulkier. I used small 20mm webbing but still created a lot more mass. A lot was heavier dyneema but rolling is inherently bulkier and the drawstring holds closed really well with DCF, no secondary closures needed. Since I always travel barrel up so it’s not a weather concern for my use.

here’s the old rain cover: 4.8oz vs 0.28oz. Still pretty small but WAY bigger than a film canister.

View attachment 245276
View attachment 245277
View attachment 245278

Tom Joad, I’m curious what weight fabric you used for the roll top version. Looks pretty close to what I’m trying to build.

I just received my .34/oz dyneema and it looks too light and wispy for my scabbard design. Probably going to make smaller stuff sacks and roll tops with it.

OP
TomJoad

TomJoad

WKR
Tom Joad, I’m curious what weight fabric you used for the roll top version. Looks pretty close to what I’m trying to build.

I just received my .34/oz dyneema and it looks too light and wispy for my scabbard design. Probably going to make smaller stuff sacks and roll tops with it.
If you are talking scabbard for horse back it would be way to thin for that. I’m just using it strapped to my kuiu which is fine for that application. It feels weak... but try to tear it, pretty impressive.

for the roll top I used a similar fabric to this:

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collec...-hybrid-ct5k-18-wov-32c?variant=1007084765210

Not the exact same but significantly more layers of dyneema and Mylar in the composite plus a laminated face fabric, mine was nylon, this one is poly but both offer more structure and abrasion resistance. You don’t see the woven in the above photos because it’s inside the bag.

Good luck with your build!

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am an old DIY guy, and a new new Rokslide sponsor. I picked up some Dynema to try because TomJoad got me interested in experimenting with it. I have used silpoly ripstop before, and it was great.

Anyone who wants some to make their own, I will send some spruce green dynema for what it cost me plus shipping. I will throw in seam seal tape as well if you want.

PM me if you want some Dynema, first come first serve. Again, I am not profiting a cent on this "sale". Just passing along enough for a few guys to DIY rather than having to buy more than you need from Ripstop, although scraps are great for projects.

I will also post up a diy video how I make mine.

I have a sewing shop, and am going to build out my product line, including the ultralight backpack rifle covers that I did DIY a couple years ago. This isn't a spot to solicit business, so I will post up the gear sales elsewhere. Watch for it.

hereinaz, Do you still have some material that you would part with ? Found anything you like better than the dyneema ? Thanks

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
hereinaz, Do you still have some material that you would part with ? Found anything you like better than the dyneema ? Thanks
Dyneema is great. There are various types, being a laminate, it can be varied.

Depends on the balance between durability and weight you require. Liteskin, Xpac, and coated Cordura will work.