DIY Elk Guide options for Unit 97 WY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone!
New to the forum.
My Dad and I drew Elk tags for this coming season in unit 97 in WY. They are Type 1 which is an any-elk rifle tag, season opens Sept 20th.
This will be our first time hunting elk.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a guide in that unit? We're not looking for an outfitter, just someone who knows the area, has experience, and will be a good companion.
I've heard that around the time we'll be going (late Sept) the elk will still be way up in the wilderness area that as non-residents we can't hunt without a guide. Any thoughts?
Also any info on grizzly situation in this area would be great, I'm assuming there will be some here.

hobbes

WKR
I suspect that if you want a legal guide, you'll go through an outfitter.

wytx

WKR
From the WG&F website: Very limited harvest opportunities exist for self guided non-resident hunters during the September and October portions of the hunting season.

hobbes is right^^^

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to Rokslide. You should take an opportunity to look around a bit and you'll find this community is pretty awesome.

Now unfortunately we aren't letting FNG's (new guys) post up unit specific questions. Any unit question/answers remain out in the world wide webs forever, which can doom some really great spots.

Rokslide's administrations expectation is that all long standing Rokslide members will understand and support this concept and take all such conversations to private message.

Yes it's a hassle to join and be part of this community but the rewards are worth the effort including the ability to send and receive private messages.

Hope to see you active in the forums, and good luck on your hunt!

Status
Not open for further replies.