DIY Elk Hunt With My Wife, and A Stickbow

My wife and I went on our first elk hunt. It’s something we’ve been talking about for two years. I have a bunch of hunts I aspire to do, but after this I can’t imagine a fall without elk hunting. Especially, screaming bulls in September. We were in them every day, heard tons of bugling, saw tons of rubs, heard some fighting, and got to see a couple bulls and a pile of cows. She did a really nice job filming, so I put together a video of the whole hunt. It’s on my YouTube, check it out!
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
IMG_5296.jpg
IDK why it didn't occur to me to paint my tripod til I saw pics and video lol
IMG_5298.jpg
Saw lots of big rubs. They're a little different than Michigan Whitetail rubs.
IMG_5295.jpg
We saw a pile of cows that night. I think 8 or 9.
IMG_5297.jpg
Elk country of course has great scenery.

Attachments

• IMG_5296.jpg
    IMG_5296.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5296.jpg
    IMG_5296.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 9
My wife and I went on our first elk hunt. It’s something we’ve been talking about for two years. I have a bunch of hunts I aspire to do, but after this I can’t imagine a fall without elk hunting. Especially, screaming bulls in September. We were in them every day, heard tons of bugling, saw tons of rubs, heard some fighting, and got to see a couple bulls and a pile of cows. She did a really nice job filming, so I put together a video of the whole hunt. It’s on my YouTube, check it out!
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
View attachment 328598
IDK why it didn't occur to me to paint my tripod til I saw pics and video lol
View attachment 328599
Saw lots of big rubs. They're a little different than Michigan Whitetail rubs.
View attachment 328601
We saw a pile of cows that night. I think 8 or 9.
View attachment 328605
Elk country of course has great scenery.
Cool stuff. It's great that your wife will join you on those hunts. Mine loves to fish with me, for which I'm very grateful, but she doesn't hunt at all. Probably a good thing since I've told her a few times if she ever came to elk camp with me, I'd probably just quit my job and never go home. LOL

OP
C
Cool stuff. It's great that your wife will join you on those hunts. Mine loves to fish with me, for which I'm very grateful, but she doesn't hunt at all. Probably a good thing since I've told her a few times if she ever came to elk camp with me, I'd probably just quit my job and never go home. LOL
Lol. My wife likes to fish too. Definitely makes it a lot easier to do what you enjoy when they enjoy it with you. Not sure what changed but a couple years ago, she wanted to go on an elk hunt. Kinda took me by surprise, but it worked out well. she did well on the hunt, and I didn't do anything stupid to get myself divorced, so win-win.

Very cool video (now subscribed). I need to get out there to Elk hunt. I'm from Lower Michigan and would appreciate any tips to help me get started.

OP
C
Very cool video (now subscribed). I need to get out there to Elk hunt. I'm from Lower Michigan and would appreciate any tips to help me get started.
Thanks for checking it out! It's a blast man, I don't usually show a lot of emotion; but I think it was obvious how much we enjoyed it. My wife had never hunted or camped more than a weekend and she had a great time. Biggest thing is just to go, every journey has to start somewhere, and I learn alot each time. I think that was the 5th OOS hunt I've done, each one I tweek my gear a bit, and plan a little better. Are you talking just Elk or going west in general? I'm from Michigan too, so it's a big expedition for me as well.

I'm actually headed out on another hunt today, and I'll be away from phone/computer for a few days. So if I don't respond I'm not being rude. Send me a pm late next week. Like the 8th or 9th and we'll talk.