Diy elk in CO

Pulled a tag for first season rifle. Pretty excited about it, beings my first elk hunt by myself. Been doing a fair amount of e scouting, narrowing down units and picking a handful of spots to check out. Curious about water and springs, weather to expect, bull behavior that time of year, as well as any general info about the area. If anyone would be willing to share some knowledge that isn't about how many roads or people are out there, it would be greatly appreciated. Driving out to pre scout is not an option this year due to scheduling conflicts. Will be going out a few days before season starts however. PMs are welcome.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SonnyDay

WKR
I have not hunted those units, but am familiar with the general area. Weather-wise, plan for 80 degrees and sunny or 0 and snowy (and, of course, everything in between). 1st Rifle is usually end of rut/post rut... so shifting to food and shelter away from breeding. Out on the Western Slope (depending how summer goes), water sources may be a good bet. I assume you already know about the Colorado Hunting Atlas. Good luck!

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
My advice would be turn that tag in, buy a leftover for 1st season and hunt unit 12 by Meeker.

jonesey50

FNG
I'm in the same boat. Have been in 11,211 but decided to move to 21,30 this year and try it out maybe we can compare notes.

IanCOLO

FNG
I had that tag last year. Douglas Pass was swarmed with people and a lot of other BLM areas I wanted to hunt had gates across the roads at private property. Make sure you zoom in enough on OnX to find the gates and plan accordingly to use the limited BLM before the gates to hike in around the private. I was extremely limited on time last year (newborn twins) and didn’t get down there to scout before hand and only could hunt a day and a half. With some planning and an understanding of the land I’m sure you could have some luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11boo

WKR
I have a cow tag for 30, late public land. Should be fun in December. They only let about 300 tags go for that.

Marble

WKR
Pulled a tag for first season rifle in 21 22 30 31 and 32. Pretty excited about it, beings my first elk hunt by myself. Been doing a fair amount of e scouting, narrowing down units and picking a handful of spots to check out. Curious about water and springs, weather to expect, bull behavior that time of year, as well as any general info about the area. If anyone would be willing to share some knowledge that isn't about how many roads or people are out there, it would be greatly appreciated. Driving out to pre scout is not an option this year due to scheduling conflicts. Will be going out a few days before season starts however. PMs are welcome.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I know you cant go to prescout, but time in the area you plan to hunt will be the most valuable thing you have. A few days early is good, but the more time you have the better.

I am lucky in that I hunt an area I know well based off the last 18 years of visiting it. But every year still scout and look for herds using g slightly different spots or routes of travel. We typically wont even load the horses unless we have seen animals the morning of or the night prior. =

So whatever time you can dedicate to getting there and learning your area, it will be more valuable in terms of success than anything else.

Megalodon

Lil-Rokslider
Following as I have this tag as well. Hunted 4th cow in 31 last year also.

where abouts you from OP?