DIY Euro Mount Axis Deer

Jardo

WKR
I whacked a good size Axis Deer buck yesterday. I already have a buck at the taxidermist so I figured I would try a European mount over the long Memorial Day holiday weekend.

I have never done this so I spent a couple hours watching YouTube videos and taught myself how to do this.

I’m going to post pics I took of the process and try to explain how I did it so hopefully some of you find this helpful or at least interesting.

e145ab5b579f57de3fccaf3e93a9d7b5.jpg

This is the deer I whacked on Saturday.

c3c842b54ae091a45d99b72bafe1ff8b.jpg

The deer on the right is my Brothers... mine is on the left. I spent an hour in the field skinning the head which was harder than I thought it would be but I got it done. I removed as much flesh and eyeballs as I could.

6cb0b39a999a0bddb4cfc937315ea370.jpg

I brought a pot of water to boil outside and added a couple tablespoons of dish soap and a 1/2 cup of oxyclean. The oxyclean was the best because it made all the fat and oil turn to a jelly that flaked off. Make sure you add oxyclean to the pot. It took me about 2 1/2 hours to completely get all the flesh off.

0d51e52041a6d212ff108ae82909fb85.jpg
bd99d24e6a6d31c253863cf25954c2ba.jpg

These pictures were taken when it was nearly done. Notice the jelly looking stuff. It just flakes off with a brush after it dries. This is a reaction to the oxyclean.

aa9d7231220989c8069a1edba32aa078.jpg

fd2599da0df71afb1ed0782329c0a738.jpg

In this picture the skull is ready to be bleached. I made a paste from volume 40 and powder hair bleach I got from the drugstore.

e8b9bec62b54d541553d71329082f2ee.jpg

I used a paintbrush to cover the entire skull with the volume 40/powder bleach paste. I was careful not to get any on the antlers. It will bleach them too if you’re not careful. Make sure you use rubber gloves. This is a very potent mixture and will bleach your skin.

I then wrapped the skull in plastic wrap and sat it in front of a space heater. The plastic wrap ensures the pasted doesn’t dry out. If it dries out, it’s tough to remove and requires a wire brush.

The space heater activates the bleach paste and only took 1 hour and fifteen minutes.

Then rinse.

860afc1adbcf4fe971350c4b225641fb.jpg

c57eaab3ff234cc7a5dca862e4464173.jpg

Here’s the final result. I’m super pleased with how this turned out. Total time from start to finis was about 8 hours.

This is going to be my go to mount. Total cost was about $15.

Now I gotta find a wall to hang it on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dinger

WKR
You can shave a bunch of time using a household pressure washer after boiling.......10-20 minute boil and hit it with the washer, usually a short second dip is needed to get everything. I brush on bottled Hydrogen Peroxide a few times to whiten it up, mainly because it just happens to be readily available locally.

muddydogs

WKR
You can shave a bunch of time using a household pressure washer after boiling.......10-20 minute boil and hit it with the washer, usually a short second dip is needed to get everything. I brush on bottled Hydrogen Peroxide a few times to whiten it up, mainly because it just happens to be readily available locally.

Trouble with a pressure washer is by the time you get it out, set it up, spray the skull, put the pressure washer away then clean up the mess you made you have as much time into it as if you just boiled the skull. Most of mine simmer out clean in under a hour then I change the water and simmer for another hours or so with a degreasing dish soap to help remove all the oils on the skull.

I have found an air compressor works great for blowing out the nasal cavity and getting into the small passages in the skull.

OP
Jardo

Jardo

WKR

I thought about trying the pressure washer but I was worried about damaging the fragile nose bones. I might try that next time and see how it goes.

Dinger

WKR
I thought about trying the pressure washer but I was worried about damaging the fragile nose bones. I might try that next time and see how it goes.
The fragile inner nose bones get knocked around but I'm not fussed about them. I use a small electric homeowner sized unit and have never had a problem on the bits that matter. I have never used my shop gas powered unit on skulls. I usually end up doing half a dozen or more skulls and/or skull caps a year. A pressure washer is pure wizardry fleshing skins & capes btw.

drtonkin

FNG
Nice buck and great work! I'd like to do my first DIY euro this year and plan to use a similar process

HoytHntr4

WKR
Nice buck, that turned out awesome! Axis is definitely on my bucket list of hunts, I've heard the meat is incredible

OP
Jardo

Jardo

WKR
some guys like the unbleached look. i like the skull white but this is really a personal preference.

i wish i was talented enough to carve the antlers or something cool on the skull.

Rem788

FNG
Personally I would have done a shoulder mount but I have yet to get an axis deer but that looks amazing. Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FNG
Good work. That is a nice mount. Advice for other trying this.... keep the heat to a minimum as you boil, you basically want a simmer. Too much heat will make the bone very brittle. It’s easy to have happen.