DIY European mount kit while traveling

Jhoneyman

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everyone looking for ideas on DIY skull boiling set up for when on the road. With all the CWD regulations this has become a necessity when traveling out of state to hunt. Last year used a turkey fryer and galvanized tub. It worked ok, but kind of takes up a lot of room in the truck box with the tub, fryer, and propane tank. The bridger boiler looks awesome, but not sure I want to spend that much money.

WCB

WKR
I've done the same as you have the last couple years. No way I'm spending $500+to save a little room.

fatlander

WKR
1. Clean up the skull as best you can with a knife
2. Take it to the closest car wash and give it hell with a pressure washer.
3. Soak it in a bleach solution.
4. Done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You only need to get the brain out. Doing a full boil seems like a lot while on the road. You could stop at a car wash and pressure wash it. Just clean up after yourself.

muddydogs

WKR
1. Clean up the skull as best you can with a knife
2. Take it to the closest car wash and give it hell with a pressure washer.
3. Soak it in a bleach solution.
4. Done.

Have you tried to clean a non boiled skull at the car wash? They don't clean up at all from what I found.

fatlander

WKR
Have you tried to clean a non boiled skull at the car wash? They don't clean up at all from what I found.

Most states that I’ve read the refs on only specify clean of brain tissue and some go as far as saying soaked in a bleach solution. You can definitely get the brain tissue out at the car wash and the half empty bottle of bleach in the truck shows even more good faith effort. YMMV.

EastMT

WKR
There is some new research that shows a 40+% of bleach does destroy the prions. I think it’s a good idea as blowing the brain tissue out just spreads it all over the outside of the head, meaning you would still be transporting it if it’s positive.

I plan on drenching mine, pouring some in the brain cavity after blowing it out even if it’s not regulatory just in the hopes of not adding to the problem along the way.

Tyglick

FNG

muddydogs

WKR
Most states that I’ve read the refs on only specify clean of brain tissue and some go as far as saying soaked in a bleach solution. You can definitely get the brain tissue out at the car wash and the half empty bottle of bleach in the truck shows even more good faith effort. YMMV.

Wyoming state in there regs that all brain and meat needs removed so just getting the brain out may not be enough. Good faith effort tends to mean very little depending on the day and or warden checking you so I tend to not relay on that. Reminds me of a couple times hunting with others that didn't check for a plug in there shotgun, warden didn't seem to care that they claimed to only be loading 3 rounds and he watched the person unload 3 round.

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I hauled along my turkey frying burner, large canning pot and a 20 pound LP cylinder. The fryer fit inside the pot when traveling. We ended up extending the trip one full day to boil and clean skulls. We also dug a hole to discard and bury the brains.

I really prefer European mounts and will do whatever I can to legally continue keeping skulls intact.

Superdoo

WKR
Just ordered one!

RamDreamer

Lil-Rokslider
There is some new research that shows a 40+% of bleach does destroy the prions. I think it’s a good idea as blowing the brain tissue out just spreads it all over the outside of the head, meaning you would still be transporting it if it’s positive.

I plan on drenching mine, pouring some in the brain cavity after blowing it out even if it’s not regulatory just in the hopes of not adding to the problem along the way.
I believe the 40% bleach solution deactivates the CWD prions on stainless steel but was not effective at denaturing the CWD prions in the brain tissue sample.

OP
J

Jhoneyman

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info. I found a write up about the study looking at bleach deactivating Prions. Looks like works good for cleaning equipment, but will not kill Prions in tissue. Quote from the article says "Pieces of CWD-infected brain retained prion activity even after a 30-minute soak in 100% bleach. Investigators note that bleach fails to penetrate tissues and should be used only as a surface decontaminant. "

OP
J

Jhoneyman

Lil-Rokslider

This looks interesting. Does it work as advertised?

Fitzwho

WKR
The Scrambler works really well. I have had one for 2-3 years. Just used it yesterday actually. I think I will play around with how I have the cordage tied in on the next go around. A quick scramble and a high pressure water stream and it's pretty well clean in there. Helps to keep a long set of hemostats on hand to pick the meninges out as well.

As far as the travel euro kit, for anything up to a mule deer, a correctly sized pot with a single burner stove that fits directly to a 1lb (green) propane bottle would be perfect for minimizing space. You don't need it to boil for extended periods, but get hot enough to cook it. The pot would preferably be just deep enough to cover the skull in water.

A jet boiler and a 20lb propane tank would definitely get things done a lot quicker. Tape/Celefane the antler bases that may get wet and add some baking soda to help turn everything into easily removable jelly. The baking soda will clean the brown off of antlers pretty quickly.

Erict

WKR
That Bridger Boiler is spendy!

I built a 120V system for about $50 consisting of hot water heater element, extension cord, cattle feed bucket and some silicone sealant, coupled with an electronic controller that allows me to keep the water at a specific temp. Works great and doubles as a "sous vide" cooker at home. Would not work if you don't have AC power, however.

The car wash thing may or may not work, but the one where I hunt in Montana has big signs stating not to do so.

Regardless of what you end up with, there are a few things that I suggest:
1. Get all of the hide, lips, tissue, eyeballs, lower jaw, etc. out before the first dunk (I use a coat hanger to pull out brains),
2. Protect the antler bases - you can easily decolor them during the process,
3. I always add some Dawn dishwashing liquid AND sal-soda (Borax) to the water - combined, they do wonders to break down the oils/fats,
4. Simmer, don't boil, as boiling can weaken the bone. I think the best euro mounts keep the nasal cavity bone intact but these water methods generally destroy them - beetles do the best job with that,
5. Remove occassionally and pull off bits and pieces. Teeth may fall out. The whole point of CWD regulations is to avoid potential spreading, so do the right thing when disposing of the liquids and bits.
6. If you're going to spend the time to do it, do it right the first time and get it as clean as possible,
7. Once you get home, do NOT use bleach - it will weaken the bone and yellow over time. Use Baquacil Oxydizer, which is a strong pool chemical that will make the bone white as can be.

Good luck!