DIY for Non Resident Nevada

Dr. Rx

Lil-Rokslider
For those non residents lucky enough to draw, what’s your thoughts on DIY for Archery Elk in Nevada?

Beendare

WKR
I've got 19 points for elk in Nev....and I would go solo if I can ever draw the dang tag. I've deer hunted it a fair amount.

If you want to kill a monster or bust...choose an outfitter that scouts a lot....only a couple those.

_______

I did it a few years back with zero elk experience. Ended up being successful on a decent bull. Had other opportunities on some very nice bulls that I ended up screwing up. Would do it again without question.

What unit are you looking at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

Dr. Rx

Lil-Rokslider
I did it a few years back with zero elk experience. Ended up being successful on a decent bull. Had other opportunities on some very nice bulls that I ended up screwing up. Would do it again without question.

I already applied some top units and some of not so hot units..
My odds are better getting COVID 19 for sure..
With the TAG price and possible economic down turn.. can’t afford a guide..

thanks for your help

kris

Check their stats when applying for points. Some areas have a high success rate for elk with archery, probably cause they're rutting at that time.

stonewall

WKR

out of curiosity how many points did you have? I'd love to hunt Nevada, but I just can't get over the cost vs odds. I go through this back and forth thing every year about applying or not

out of curiosity how many points did you have? I'd love to hunt Nevada, but I just can't get over the cost vs odds. I go through this back and forth thing every year about applying or not

I had 4 and got to hunt Jarbidge 72-74. I definitely got lucky. To me NV is worth it. The cost really isn’t too bad. I always feel like I have a chance and I can try for both very hard and relatively easy units to draw. I

New Guy

FNG
I got lucky and drew a good Utah unit last year (we’ll just say it’s close to NV) with two points. Much of that country is so remote, and the pressure so regulated, that bulls tended to be really responsive to whatever we gave them. We were just a group of Texas guys, with no elk hunting experience, and we were in the middle of big bulls every day. We had over a dozen close encounters, put a stalk on an absolute stud, and had the time of our lives.

The point is: if you draw a good unit with limited pressure, and put in the work, it’s doable. I struggled for months with the decision of going guided or not, because I knew 2019 would likely be my last elk hunt in Utah for decades, if not ever, but I wouldn’t change my decision for anything. We didn’t end up killing a bull, but the adventure I shared with my buddies was something I could never replace. Not an ounce of regret here.

For what it’s worth, I think NV presents the same opportunity, although the odds of drawing are similarly challenging. Might also keep in mind that most archery hunts in NV end before the rut begins. Makes finding a bull a real challenge.

Last edited:
I've got 19 points for elk in Nev....and I would go solo if I can ever draw the dang tag. I've deer hunted it a fair amount.

If you want to kill a monster or bust...choose an outfitter that scouts a lot....only a couple those.

_______
This doesnt get my hopes up... personally sitting at 3 pts :sick:

OP
D

Dr. Rx

Lil-Rokslider
Guys thanks a bunch for your stories!
DIY it is!
If I get drawn🙏😬