DIY Franken-pack build

I've seen so many great and inspirational posts on here where talented people sew and build immaculate packs and bags.

This isn't going to be one of those threads....

The hunting backpack setup I've used for years involves a metal pack frame and a cheap day pack tied to it.
IMG_3220.JPG
IMG_3223.JPG

OP
DawnPatrol
The problems with this set up were:
1. The day pack was not big enough;
2. The system for attaching the bag to the frame was...inelegant;
3. There was no load shelf;
4. The pack frame did not have adjustable load lifters;
5. The belt was not very substantial and had no lumbar support.

What I didn't have this year was money for a new ExO, SeekOutside, SG, etc.

What I did have was a Speedystitcher and: the REI Longtrekker bag that came with the frame; an old Kelty Coyote backpack that I never used and didn't really fit; and a Northface Terra 35 on which the shoulder straps had both failed catastrophically.
IMG_3222.JPG
IMG_3221.JPG
IMG_3255.JPG

OP
DawnPatrol
I started by slicing most of the straps and buckles off the three bags so I'd have some raw materials.

Then, to make the load shelf, I cut the lid off the REI bag.
IMG_3228.JPG

Then I used some of the larger prices of webbing I'd cut off to attach the lid to the bottom of the frame.

IMG_3235.JPG

OP
DawnPatrol
The next thing to address was the belt. I basically just cut the belts off the two packs and switched them, re-stitching the Kelty belt to the attachment points on the REI external frame.
IMG_3226.JPG

Then, to make a lumbar pad: I cut a fortunately shaped piece of material of the Kelty and stuffed it with closed-cell foam scavenged from the belt of the Northface pack. Then I sewed straps onto it so i can cinch it down onto the belt.
IMG_3227.JPG

IMG_3260.JPG

After that, I cut the load lifters off the Kelty pack and attached them to the shoulder straps and frame (sorry no pics).

OP
DawnPatrol
At this point, I had a fully functional meat-hauler:
IMG_3262.JPG

(That's a 65 lbs bag of QuickCrete wrapped in duct tape and a contractor bag)

OP
DawnPatrol
Finally, attaching the bag to the frame:

I removed all the padding from back of the Northface bag, along with the remains of the belt and straps. I left a few buckles on the bag to allow for easier attachment.
IMG_3256.JPG

Then I sewed six straps onto the frame so I could quickly attach/remove (and cinch down) the bag.
IMG_3259.JPG

OP
DawnPatrol
And here's the final product:
IMG_3263.JPG

I've loaded it down and taken it on several short hikes. After a few tweaks, the fit is much improved and I can more comfortably carry 70ish lbs. Looking forward to a more serious field test during spring bear season.

Thanks for all the inspiration, info, and advice on the DIY and pack forums.

I know this is silly and I'll probably buy a real pack next year, but I thought I'd share for fun.

feanor

WKR
Great build and experience in designing and tinkering with what you prefer. Always a good idea ( almost always) to at least give it a go. Sometimes you find out that it’s worth it, and other times it’s not. Thanks for sharing.

Beendare

WKR
I have bent two of the old Kelty frames that look like that frame. Typically it’s the top corners that aren’t strong enough For a heavy meat and hide load.

Be careful loading those old aluminum frames with too much weight.... they just weren’t designed for the kinds of loads we are hauling out.

OP
DawnPatrol
I have bent two of the old Kelty frames that look like that frame. Typically it’s the top corners that aren’t strong enough For a heavy meat and hide load.

Be careful loading those old aluminum frames with too much weight.... they just weren’t designed for the kinds of loads we are hauling out.

Good to know! Wouldn't be too much fun to bend a frame down in some steep and ugly hole.

How much weigh are you talking about? I'm a little dude and can't imagine putting more than 80 lbs on my back (I'd rather hike 10 miles w/ 50 lbs than 5 with 100).

JungleDan

Lil-Rokslider
And here's the final product:
View attachment 268746

I've loaded it down and taken it on several short hikes. After a few tweaks, the fit is much improved and I can more comfortably carry 70ish lbs. Looking forward to a more serious field test during spring bear season.

Thanks for all the inspiration, info, and advice on the DIY and pack forums.

I know this is silly and I'll probably buy a real pack next year, but I thought I'd share for fun.
good work

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord