DIY game bags

DaFL

FNG
Hi all. First post here, but have been lurking for a while.

I am in need of some game bags for an upcoming caribou hunt in Norway. I live - and usually hunt - in Denmark, where I can carry or drag the deer to my car and process it at home. As such I am not too set on paying the hefty import fees I would have to when buying commercial game bags from the USA (they are not readily available in Denmark or any other European country from what i have found).

Instead I am looking into making my own. I have found in previous threads that 1,1 oz. ripstop nylon are favoured, but I can't seem to find any that hasn't been impregnated (in Europe - again, I would like to avoid import fees), and wouldn't like to have contact between meat and impregnated fabric.

My question: Do any of you have an opinion on using mosquito net (or maybe alternative fabrics)? It wouldnt need to be super strong as there are no vegetation to hang the bags from anyway. It just needs to be lightweight, unimpregnated, breathable and provide a barrier for flies and dirt.

WoodBow

WKR
Yea pillow cases will be hard to beat for price and availability.

Any weight ripstop will work. Doesn't have to be 1.1 oz. Maybe you can find some uncoated in other weights. Also doesn't have to be ripstop. Just lightweight nylon or polyester is will work.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
D

DaFL

FNG
Have thought about pillow cases, but am trying to cut down on weight, and i am of the impression that synthetics will help with that.

As to nylon. The mosquito net i was referring to (but didn't include link to in previous post) happens to be made out of nylon.
Any thoughts as to the mesh size (1000 meshes/inch²) if that will be adequate?

Will definetely look into laundry bags too.

CB4

WKR
If you decide to make your own make to to sew them correctly. If this makes any sense, do not put a seem at the bottom of the bag. Sew the two sides, and put the fold on the bottom. Most manufacturers chose to sew one side and the bottom for ease of sewing. That however creates a weak point in the bottom of the bag where most of the tension is when meat is hanging.

OP
D

DaFL

FNG
Good point, CB4. But as i will be hunting above treeline there are no possibility of hanging the bags.
Nevertheless, If i end up sewing my own, i most probably will follow you advice

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You need something that will resist stretching and tearing from the weight of the meat/bones and from being in the pack moving around. The netting won't do it, IMO. You want some sort of nylon or polyester that won't tear if you put three or four bricks in it and swung it around and stuck it in your pack where it will keep pushing at corners. Once you stick a quarter in there and lug it around in the bag, even if you don't hang it, you won't want a seam at the bottom. That is where it will quickly blow out if you don't sew it right.

It also needs to be porous enough to allow ventilation so the meat can dry out. Some nylon and polyester aren't good for that application.

A pillow case or high thread count cotton isn't going to be much different in weight than nylon.

mcr-85

WKR
Isn't this around 1oz/yd ripstop material from the same site you linked? They have white in stock. Thats what I'd use.

OP
D

DaFL

FNG
It seems that I should look back into pillow cases as well. I'll start out with throwing one on the scale.

Mcr-85: The fabric you mention is the exact same that i initially found. Unfortunately, it is impregnated. I contacted them, and was told that all of their similar fabrus were impregnated as well.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What if a family member or friend sent you some game bags or fabric in the mail from the US? People say I am a friendly guy. PM me if I can help a friend out. We might even be family, a few great grandparents are from Denmark.

Last edited:
I think that the 34gsm is a bit too light... Admittedly I haven't used that specific fabric for anything. 1oz ripstop tears on bones very easily. I'd be a lot more tempted by their 66gsm fabric https://www.extremtextil.de/en/ripstop-nylon-hammock-nylon-70den-66g-sqm-impregnated.html

I also think that a good rolled hem seam on the bottom is studier bc then there are several layers to support the meat. Oh and I think it is really important to sew some reflective accents into the thing so you can find it at night more easily

Get ready to fall down a deep dark rabbit hole!

Last edited:
OP
D

DaFL

FNG
Hereinaz: Thanks a lot for the offer. I'll look around a bit first, but i might just take you up on that.

Sewbadithurts: Down the rabbit hole it goes (as is usually the case with my projects). Regarding the fabric you linkes from the same seller. That too is impregnated, as is all their ripstop nylon. But i get your point regarding strength of fabric and being able to locate it

Hoff

FNG
I have done some projects with mosquito netting as well but I also would have concerns with it holding up for game bags. I would also have concern about seams holding up to weight with mosquito netting. My favorite game bags have been simple homemade drawstring bags made from nylon or polyester. I dont get the sense in paying for game bags when they are literally just drawstring sacks that can be simply made at home.

OP
D

DaFL

FNG
What if a family member or friend sent you some game bags or fabric in the mail from the US? People say I am a friendly guy. PM me if I can help a friend out. We might even be family, a few great grandparents are from Denmark.
Hereinaz, I tried pm'ing you but i seem to not have enough posts. Can i reach you at [email protected]?

MR5X5

FNG
I use 75# grain bags from the local grange. They are made out of a plastic weave and have a plastic bag liner. I take out the plastic bag liner. They weigh next to nothing, breath well, can't be beat for strength, are reusable and free.

OP
D

DaFL

FNG
Forgot all about updating this thread.
Found some ripstop nylon and got some bags sewn. Not the ideal colour, but they will have to do. The large ones will hold a 3-year old with no issue. In just over a week I'll try to get them filled with caribou instead.

Attachments

• 5F7A778A-7B68-40BD-ABA3-06A18AAB6A33.jpeg
    5F7A778A-7B68-40BD-ABA3-06A18AAB6A33.jpeg
    267.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 46019DA5-F0A7-4621-854F-4DEC647E30D6.jpeg
    46019DA5-F0A7-4621-854F-4DEC647E30D6.jpeg
    215.3 KB · Views: 57