DIY Gamebags?

JustinEllison

Lil-Rokslider
I have made my own roll top dry bags and zip up dry bags, and have wondered if anyone has made game bags before? They would be extremely easy to make, but curious if the silnylon or silpoly would be good material for game bags?

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
You don’t want coated fabric. Game bags need to breathe so the meat can develop the dry crust that protects it from bacteria.

I can’t recommend a fabric to use, but I can tell you silnylon/poly is not the right one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WoodBow

WKR
Uncoated ripstop nylon. 1.9 oz if you want heavy duty. 1.3 if you want lighter. Just my personal recommendation.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

AKShooter

FNG
I've bought the big carcass bags and sewed my own. Price break is there when you run the math. Aazon has a few knock-off style bags. Those have worked well.

My mom has made game bags for my dad and I from light canvas. Not the fanciest of things, but they are great for their durability, and unless you're in a complete deluge, they are plenty breathable enough to take care of game in the field. I also like to transfer meat from bloody game bags in the field to these canvas bags for hanging prior to butchering. They really shine there.

Flydaho

Lil-Rokslider
I bought some Caribou Game Bags - Large Single Quarter bags on sale at the end of last season and cut them down to be the same size as the Pristine Ventures BOMB Tag Bags. Kuiu's website says theirs are made out of a Taslan nylon fabric.

OXN939

WKR
Old pillow cases. Been using them for years.

Seen a lot of people do this. My question has always been whether there are any fire retardants or any other chemicals used for pillowcases that could be concerning. Thoughts?

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I'm a rebel. I had some left over 1.6 oz silpoly left over from my pyramid tent so I basically sewed up a hotdog shaped stuff sack about 2.5' long and 12" in diameter. I triple stitched all the seams and sewed in some webbing loops at the bottom of the bag and used p cord for a draw string. I think Kifaru had something similar to this. I put an entire boned out elk hind quarter in this thing, put a simple half hitch in the draw string, flipped it over and hung it by the webbing loops onto my pack frame. After securing it down with compression straps I hiked out with the easiest carrying elk quarter I've ever had the "pleasure" of hauling. Blood drained out the bottom and I immediately put the meat in a standard game bag back at the truck. I certainly wouldn't store meat in it over night or on an extremely hot day but it sure beat the hell out of hauling out a giant ball of meat in the bottom of my pack!!

My wife made really similar meat sacks using silnylon for us this winter. I tested one when we were butchering a deer in the garage and it seems like they are going to work. Like you said, not for long term storage, but should help avoid the ball of meat in the bottom of the bag. She made a couple sizes, one that is the hopefully right size for elk loin and loose meat and a smaller one sized for deer loin and loose meat. I generally like to bring the quarters out with the bone in.

Seen a lot of people do this. My question has always been whether there are any fire retardants or any other chemicals used for pillowcases that could be concerning. Thoughts?
On a nightly basis, people sleep face down with mouth agape while drooling relentlessly onto their pillow cases. How toxic can they possibly be?