DIY gun stock finish

Had this rifle built years ago. It was supposed to be “desert camo” it turned out a fleshy pink color. Hated it for ten years. So finally decided to paint it myself. I didn’t want to spring for the Cerekote until I did a practice run. Went with the rattle can option. We will see if it holds up worth a crap. Should be easy enough to sand and repaint if need be. Has anybody else done a DIY finish on their stock ?

Attachments

• A7617BDF-9089-4EB9-90E8-B1D0E3C060C7.jpeg
    A7617BDF-9089-4EB9-90E8-B1D0E3C060C7.jpeg
    426.8 KB · Views: 261
  • D003A162-CE8C-4685-8287-951D172B3392.jpeg
    D003A162-CE8C-4685-8287-951D172B3392.jpeg
    416.8 KB · Views: 251
i got my ideas on youtubes... spray paints today are tough enough and easy to touch up for stock work.although not true camo i like truck bedliner in a can as a base. then pick a solid color sprayed over what you like... then finish off with krylon black marbelize spray paint for the break up. give it a 3 layers of matte clear and its pretty darn durable. if you were doing the whole gun or metal parts then id get the Cerekote. look up pine needle camo and hydro water dipped spray jobs too.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb_yh5c1kck

Lots of diy paint jobs in this thread

Antares

WKR
Had this rifle built years ago. It was supposed to be “desert camo” it turned out a fleshy pink color. Hated it for ten years. So finally decided to paint it myself. I didn’t want to spring for the Cerekote until I did a practice run. Went with the rattle can option. We will see if it holds up worth a crap. Should be easy enough to sand and repaint if need be. Has anybody else done a DIY finish on their stock ?
Looks awesome! Good work! I really want to do some sponge painting, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I like the Manners style big splotches.

OP
Hunt eat repeat
Did you just use regular spray paint, or something like duracoat?
Yeah just a good quality spray paint. I’m not really hard on my gear so I think it will be durable enough. And if it isn’t then it’s easy to sand off and try something else.

Yeah just a good quality spray paint. I’m not really hard on my gear so I think it will be durable enough. And if it isn’t then it’s easy to sand off and try something else.
That’s a good point. I’m planning on redoing my Turkey gun, and it gets some wear and tear, so I’m trying to find something more durable.

OP
Hunt eat repeat
Dupli-Color Bed Armor in black, dark olive, and sandstorm. I believe purchased from Advanced Auto Parts.
Oh nice. That’s a good idea. I wanted to use cerekote but it’s sure expensive. Might have to give that a try.

Done a stock on a older .257 Roberts used the textured krylon stone, holding up well I would post a pic but being a computer neanderthal its a no go. The rifle originally had a fiber stock on it the was horible as too looks, took me a while too get my nerve up to do it but am glad now I did.

Icky26

FNG
Just did my tikka T3X stock. Started with a Krylon Fusion textured gray. Then cut up some craft sponges and applied the krylon camoflouage khaki and woodland green. Last thing before the flat clear coat was the black webbing paint to add some extra texture on top of the textured base. It was a fun project and i think it turned out good