DIY Hawaii axis deer hunt

Tahoe1305

WKR
I am trying to plan this as we speak, can I ask you a few questions?
Always free to ask but my info is getting very dated. When you all ask me I typically just google it now and paste the link.

I haven’t been since 2020.

I went last summer and saw one mid 20s buck in 3 days and maybe 6 does and lots of ewes no rams it was tough hunting the problem with areas with no huntng zons adjacent to the hunting zones is they just move to the areas where they aren't hunted

ProAlpine

FNG
We've got family in W Maui, none of which are hunters. We're headed there for the last 2 weeks in March. Last year when we went I brought a rifle, registered it and left it there for future hunts. I didn't get time to hunt last visit, but will be making time this year. I plan to hunt DIY public, most likely in Unit A because it's close to where we'll be. I realize that this will be a totally different game than a private hunt on Lanai, but I'm not afraid to hike and cover some ground. Friends and family that are non hunters talk about all the deer they see running through the yard. I figure there's got to be a few out there on public. Any suggestions for DIY public on Maui (not Lanai) for axis please shoot me a PM. I'm not looking honey holes, just some general advice. Mahalo!

diverc18

Lil-Rokslider
We've got family in W Maui, none of which are hunters. We're headed there for the last 2 weeks in March. Last year when we went I brought a rifle, registered it and left it there for future hunts. I didn't get time to hunt last visit, but will be making time this year. I plan to hunt DIY public, most likely in Unit A because it's close to where we'll be. I realize that this will be a totally different game than a private hunt on Lanai, but I'm not afraid to hike and cover some ground. Friends and family that are non hunters talk about all the deer they see running through the yard. I figure there's got to be a few out there on public. Any suggestions for DIY public on Maui (not Lanai) for axis please shoot me a PM. I'm not looking honey holes, just some general advice. Mahalo!
Pretty sure unit A is closed if you are looking at the West Maui Forest Reserve. At least that is what I have been told. Maui never updates the rules so get a hold of the dlnr. Most of the time they don’t know either so they will give you the number of the wildlife biologist.

ProAlpine

FNG
Pretty sure unit A is closed if you are looking at the West Maui Forest Reserve. At least that is what I have been told. Maui never updates the rules so get a hold of the dlnr. Most of the time they don’t know either so they will give you the number of the wildlife biologist.
The website map does show Unit F in W Maui closed and 2 portions of Unit A closed to bird hunting but open to mammal hunting. Getting the number of the wildlife biologist would be the best approach.

diverc18

Lil-Rokslider
The website map does show Unit F in W Maui closed and 2 portions of Unit A closed to bird hunting but open to mammal hunting. Getting the number of the wildlife biologist would be the best approach.
I know it shows that but like I said best call the dlnr. When I first moved here I thought the same thing and I was planning on hunting the same place until I was told otherwise. Hopefully something has changed since then.