DIY Hawaii axis deer hunt

Stumbled across this forum while trying to research the DIY hunts in Hawaii. I just moved to Oahu from Colorado so I’m trying to shift gears from back country big game hunting to small island game. I’m struggling to find anything information on the DIY public land hunts out here but I’m struggling to find any good info on it. It seems like most of the info I come across is for guided private land hunts. Anyone have a good place for me to start gathering my information?

thanks in advance.
Same boat as you, but I’d rather be back in Colorado! So I did the archery State hunt on Lanai last year for Axis. While there I found out about the “private” you pay $100 and you can hunt private areas DIY. You can hunt Lanai year around on the private. As soon as we are able to go inter island I’ll head back over again. Now a place to stay there is $$$ and tricky. Like $700-800/night at the 4seasons so you have to link up with a local that will allow to rent a bed (about $100) unless you want to roll out the big $$$. Check this out.
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v...aVYfiFnYQrzMlDzA0mcZyfdq90Dnp23crcFqa7_Hco&e=

Oyeah914

FNG
Same boat as you, but I’d rather be back in Colorado! So I did the archery State hunt on Lanai last year for Axis. While there I found out about the “private” you pay $100 and you can hunt private areas DIY. You can hunt Lanai year around on the private. As soon as we are able to go inter island I’ll head back over again. Now a place to stay there is $$$ and tricky. Like $700-800/night at the 4seasons so you have to link up with a local that will allow to rent a bed (about $100) unless you want to roll out the big $$$. Check this out.
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__urldefense.com_v3_-5F-5Fhttps-3A_Caution-www.lanai96763.com_information-5F-5F-3B-21-21LIYSdFfckKA-21gf2QgHsZscz2FNPpw-2DAoMmBGxzj-2DLpHv8jRCYMw8LnW5qT031l1jSVkcqZwjwmd0ZzhsTUb-2DpQ-24&d=DwMGaQ&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=KMzHDOyqetUzsG8qHyDO1lbMJiSgM4ORyiBMtJht0JU&m=_xXmTkVIcLEEpxoJOTBu3K73qF_4cgRZ5M1BIyuauVQ&s=
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v...aVYfiFnYQrzMlDzA0mcZyfdq90Dnp23crcFqa7_Hco&e=

Oyeah914

FNG
I’m on Oahu too and looking to do the same thing. Is there a way to camp? I have a feeling it’s going to be hard to find someone that will invite you over after all this Covid junk. Right now I’ve just out here still hunting pigs.

I’m on Oahu too and looking to do the same thing. Is there a way to camp? I have a feeling it’s going to be hard to find someone that will invite you over after all this Covid junk. Right now I’ve just out here still hunting pigs.
There is one beach to camp, Hulopoe beach and if I remember right it’s $80.
you can hunt goats on Oahu as well if you weren’t aware.

I was thinking the same thing. I’m used to carrying a tent into the wilderness areas and camping for a week or two for hunt. I’m about 99% sure we can’t do that here and like you pointed out, covid is going to make it a lot less likely that someone would let people they don’t know crash in a spare room there. Are you hunting the pigs on Oahu?

Tahoe1305

WKR
You guys are right, unless it’s changes no camping allowed.

There is a camp ground on lanai but it’s pretty far away from the hunting areas and last time I was out there folks said it was pretty expensive too.

Air bnb is a good way to find a spot but you need to book 90+ days out to have availability. Cars are much more difficult and you need a 4x4 because all the trails are dirt and not car friendly. If you got stuck in a car there are areas you could hunt but it would result in more walking.

The best thing you could do is invest in a weekend trip and sit in the bar on lanai in town and just chat people up and try and build some contacts to rent cars and rooms. I hate to say it but kinda how things work over there outside of air bnb. It’s a bit frustrating but once you build a Rolodex of contacts it’s fairly affordable and painless. It took me a few years and about 4 trips before I could say that.

Oyeah914

FNG
I was thinking the same thing. I’m used to carrying a tent into the wilderness areas and camping for a week or two for hunt. I’m about 99% sure we can’t do that here and like you pointed out, covid is going to make it a lot less likely that someone would let people they don’t know crash in a spare room there. Are you hunting the pigs on Oahu?
Yep I’m on Oahu, I’ve been after pigs but haven’t got into Goat hunting yet. Have you been out for pig yet ?

Yep I’m on Oahu, I’ve been after pigs but haven’t got into Goat hunting yet. Have you been out for pig yet ?
No not yet. All this talk of hunting again made me dig out my scouting gear from the garage though. I think I might start pushing out to get the lay of the land a bit and see if I can start to get a handle on the habits and terrain they run in.

Jardo

WKR
lanai hunts are shut down and don’t expect things to open up to non residents until covid is well behind us.

There are private land hunts on Maui. no public land DIY on maui.

i’m luckily have access to some private land here in maui.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

travelert

FNG
Stumbled across this forum while trying to research the DIY hunts in Hawaii. I just moved to Oahu from Colorado so I’m trying to shift gears from back country big game hunting to small island game. I’m struggling to find anything information on the DIY public land hunts out here but I’m struggling to find any good info on it. It seems like most of the info I come across is for guided private land hunts. Anyone have a good place for me to start gathering my information?

thanks in advance.
I lived Oahu for years, now Big Island. I always hunted the land at the top of Tantalus. Lots of pigs and great hiking. Get the permit from the state office that is off the hairpin turn at the bottom of the Tantalus Road. It's called Makiki Heights Drive. You get to the state office right off the first left hairpin turn as you head up. Its a little confusing to get in there but just park and walk in. Its an arboretum of sorts. Ask around. It takes a little while to get the permit but a week and a few calls to remind them will do it.

Wisco2020

FNG
Shot you a PM. Just left the island after a few years felt like a had a decent handle on it and lanai. Happy to pass info.
I Just stumbled across this forum and am trying to research a hunting trip in the next year or two and was wondering if you would be willing to chat?

Thanks

Tahoe1305

WKR
I Just stumbled across this forum and am trying to research a hunting trip in the next year or two and was wondering if you would be willing to chat?

Thanks
My info is officially nearly 12 months stale (moved about then) but PM me happy to chat.

Wisco2020

FNG
Thanks i definitely will, im a new member so i have to wait 7ish days until i can pm someone.

Gobbler36

WKR
Trying to plan a trip sometime in March for me and the wife, is Hawaii open ? I see on their DNR page that the axis deer hunt is can due to virus. so no hunting in Hawaii on public land or I’d that private and outfitter hunts as well?

Trying to plan a trip sometime in March for me and the wife, is Hawaii open ? I see on their DNR page that the axis deer hunt is can due to virus. so no hunting in Hawaii on public land or I’d that private and outfitter hunts as well?
Just called Lanai inquiring about their Axis hunts. I can’t answer for pricing for nonres but you can pay to hunt the Pulama land. Less than 20 rifle/shotgun hunters on island at a time. Karen made it sound that archery didn’t matter. No bag limit. Must follow Hawaii safe travels guidelines. As Tahoe1305 said there are game everywhere so a guide isn’t needed but may be useful for a quick hunt.

ak300saum

FNG
I looking for a place to stay and a rig in Lanai for a week in May. Anyone have any leads on a place? There is 3 of us coming down from Alaska and we planning to archery hunt . We have reached out to a place a buddy has rented in the past, with no answer. Just want to have options in case the other place don't work out.

Any info would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

hambugler

FNG
Lanai does a yearly public axis hunt. 100% draw for archery. Near 100% for rifle.

I PM’d you my number to chat if you like. You can hunt private on lanai too for reasonably cheap year around.

hunting out here is awesome. Highly recommend it.
Would you mind sharing this information with me also? I’m interested