DIY Hawaii axis deer hunt

I am no expert- but this is my take.

The island is full of deer. The "private" side archery area gets hunted EVERYDAY of the year.. yes, EVERYDAY.. can you still find and kill a deer in this archery area- yes, but give yourself time to do it.

The private side rifle hunts. If you are a competent hunter there is no reason why you both cannot kill at minimum one deer (you can kill 3) during your one day rifle hunt.

Private side has no - tags - you pay to play with a HI hunting license
(all private side info was pre-covid. I am unsure on how they will proceed)

Never hunted the "state" side but you would need to draw tags for this hunt.

Logistics are another story. Can be done, but it will also be costly.

if you don't care about killing a buck- there are guides on Molokai that do doe only "meat" hunts on the cheap and is a far better option, IMO, if you just want to kill an axis.

Having done both- i will confirm that the axis on Molokai taste as good as the axis on Lanai. Best meat in all 50!
Thanks for the info! Definitely got my attention on the Molokai hunt. Not really looking to do a guided hunt, but i don’t mind the taste of doe meat at all!

We may end up doing some kind of combo....I’m kind of leaning towards going out and busting a buck with the rifle first to guarantee we go home with some meat, and then do some bow hunting after. My brother is definitely more of a bow hunter than me, so I’m sure he’ll want to go fling some arrows. Sounds like private side would be a good way to start hunting axis since we’d be guaranteed a chance at least and not have to draw any tags. Thanks for the info!

Now it’s sounding like the hardest part is going to be figuring out to talk the wives into letting us go to Hawaii without them.

I helped jluigi with some info on archery private land (unguided) on Lanai and he went a few weeks back. He may chime in with his latest first hand opinion.

we chatted a bit after his hunt and he was able to get on some decent deer without a vehicle even just huffing it out of town.

I would say the opportunity on private vs public on Lanai is about equal if you have enough days to figure out the movement patterns, work a few different spots, and get a bit lucky.

I think for archery private is the way to go because it is so cheap. For rifle paying the $$ for private, if you can afford it, being able to go year around will result in a good hunt. I’d book at least three days if traveling from the states (vs being from islands).

it’s hard to put odds. But I’d say if you just want a deer on the ground and you hunted hard with a rifle for 3 days it would be near certain. If you wanted a trophy buck maybe 30% for the same.

archery I would say a full week would get you meat and a full week going after a trophy would probably be close to 30% still. These are pretty subjective.

Hard part is they travel in massive herds. The Picts are a small zoomed in section of a larger group of probably 80-100 moving together. Tuff to get a arrow at a buck with that many sensors.

there are A LOT of deer on that island.
Thanks for the info and pics! As far as huffing it out of town.....is it legal to backpack and camp on the state hunt? I’m assuming no on the private? That would actually be pretty ideal but I feel like I read some other place it’s not allowed.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Thanks for the info and pics! As far as huffing it out of town.....is it legal to backpack and camp on the state hunt? I’m assuming no on the private? That would actually be pretty ideal but I feel like I read some other place it’s not allowed.
From my understanding no camping except down on one beach on the south east side is allowed.

Anyone looking for info on hunting here in Hawaii PM me. I have been stationed here on Oahu for the past 10 years and will gladly help you. It took me some time to get all the info I have and would like to help out other where I can.
Hey JLMUELZ, I'm new here, and new to Hawaii, I just moved to Maui. I would love any information on how I can hunt some deer for a reasonable price. I can't figure out how to DM you, if you could send me a message or a number or something that would be greatly appreciated!

JLMUELZ

FNG
Hey JLMUELZ, I'm new here, and new to Hawaii, I just moved to Maui. I would love any information on how I can hunt some deer for a reasonable price. I can't figure out how to DM you, if you could send me a message or a number or something that would be greatly appreciated!
I sent you a PM.

Revron

FNG
I am going to Maui in October and looking for DIY bow hunt goats or pigs. Any info on good public or a trespass fee for private.

jluigi

FNG
From my understanding no camping except down on one beach on the south east side is allowed.
Hi! Sorry I just saw this! But yes when we went even the campsite down by the beach was closed due to covid. We rented a Airbnb in Lanai City and walked out to the field and back everyday. We did not camp out in the field. It is a lot of walking and we definitely spent a lot of time hiking that could have been hunting but it was fun for sure and a way for us to cut a bit of costs. Tahoe1305 is the man and had great advice leading into this trip! Let me know if you guys have any more questions. By no means am I an expert but happy to help where I can

mbro

FNG
I’m currently living on Oahu and I’m trying to figure out how to do a DIY hunt for axis also, I believe I missed out on the lottery for Lanai but I know molokai and maui have them too.
I helped jluigi with some info on archery private land (unguided) on Lanai and he went a few weeks back. He may chime in with his latest first hand opinion.

we chatted a bit after his hunt and he was able to get on some decent deer without a vehicle even just huffing it out of town.

I would say the opportunity on private vs public on Lanai is about equal if you have enough days to figure out the movement patterns, work a few different spots, and get a bit lucky.

I think for archery private is the way to go because it is so cheap. For rifle paying the $$ for private, if you can afford it, being able to go year around will result in a good hunt. I’d book at least three days if traveling from the states (vs being from islands).

it’s hard to put odds. But I’d say if you just want a deer on the ground and you hunted hard with a rifle for 3 days it would be near certain. If you wanted a trophy buck maybe 30% for the same.

archery I would say a full week would get you meat and a full week going after a trophy would probably be close to 30% still. These are pretty subjective.

Hard part is they travel in massive herds. The Picts are a small zoomed in section of a larger group of probably 80-100 moving together. Tuff to get a arrow at a buck with that many sensors.

there are A LOT of deer on that island.
Any tips for getting the meat and hide back to Oahu if you are successful? I’ve never had to transport via a plane, do you have to take it somewhere and have them box it up and ship it back to Oahu?

Still have nightmares about the giant buck I hit high up in the cliffs of Molokai! Man what a buck. Haven't used my longbow since. Showing my age here, but the big island back in the 90s had to be the most target rich environment in the US. I remember have 20 arrows coming back with none! A hit or miss was a broken arrow.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Any tips for getting the meat and hide back to Oahu if you are successful? I’ve never had to transport via a plane, do you have to take it somewhere and have them box it up and ship it back to Oahu?
I used a cooler that I could check. Packed it all up in there on three occasions without issue. It was actually just a 40 can soft sided cooler like the yeti. I had it as carry on but because they are small planes they plane side checked it. Probably weighed 80lbs. For antlers I wrapped with cardboard. And duct tape. No issues. Hide went in the cooler if I recall. Most take a large hard sided cooler and pack their stuff and a duffle in there. Use duffle if successful to get home.

hunting is main game on lanai. Both people at Oahu and lanai airport understand that and play ball nicely. They are pretty strict on how your gun is locked up so be ready for that.

mbro

FNG
I used a cooler that I could check. Packed it all up in there on three occasions without issue. It was actually just a 40 can soft sided cooler like the yeti. I had it as carry on but because they are small planes they plane side checked it. Probably weighed 80lbs. For antlers I wrapped with cardboard. And duct tape. No issues. Hide went in the cooler if I recall. Most take a large hard sided cooler and pack their stuff and a duffle in there. Use duffle if successful to get home.

hunting is main game on lanai. Both people at Oahu and lanai airport understand that and play ball nicely. They are pretty strict on how your gun is locked up so be ready for that.
You’re so helpful I really appreciate it! I can’t wait to get out there!

jcombsy04

FNG
It’s not a private hunt in that sense. Half the island is private owned and you can hunt certain areas of it for each method of take. If you look at that link and explore a bit you can see the maps layout for the island. The price is per person. PM me if you like and I’ll send you my cell and can provide more assistance.
Tahoe, I’m trying to get a trip setup for next July. Any info/guidance would be awesome. Thanks

Tahoe1305

WKR
Same post I’ve been PMing folks below. Resources on Lanai home page. Check that out first. I looked at the links last week and appear to still be updated.

——————
So for the yearly public hunt the solicitation for applications goes out in November or so. The hunt goes through February to May.

this years was a bit different because of covid. Link below.

https://governor.hawaii.gov/newsroom/dlnr-news-release-2021-lanaʻi-axis-deer-and-mouflon-sheep-combination-hunting-season-announcement/

The other option is private land. It is year around. Link below.

Recreation - Lanai 96763

RECREATIONPlanning an event? Learn more about each location and get details about rentals, permits and recreational reservations.DOLE PARK 808-559-0478 • Email Dole Park is located in the heart of Lanai City, surrounded by shops and restaurants nearby. Signature Cook pines tower above the grassy...
www.lanai96763.com

www.lanai96763.com
Scroll to hunting in Hawaii. It has good info.

check those out for general options, prices, maps, and we can go from there.

jcombsy04

FNG
Same post I’ve been PMing folks below. Resources on Lanai home page. Check that out first. I looked at the links last week and appear to still be updated.

——————
So for the yearly public hunt the solicitation for applications goes out in November or so. The hunt goes through February to May.

this years was a bit different because of covid. Link below.

https://governor.hawaii.gov/newsroom/dlnr-news-release-2021-lanaʻi-axis-deer-and-mouflon-sheep-combination-hunting-season-announcement/

The other option is private land. It is year around. Link below.

Recreation - Lanai 96763

RECREATIONPlanning an event? Learn more about each location and get details about rentals, permits and recreational reservations.DOLE PARK 808-559-0478 • Email Dole Park is located in the heart of Lanai City, surrounded by shops and restaurants nearby. Signature Cook pines tower above the grassy...
www.lanai96763.com

www.lanai96763.com
Scroll to hunting in Hawaii. It has good info.

check those out for general options, prices, maps, and we can go from there.

thank you so much

Some good info here. I'm also on Oahu looking to get a hunt in while I'm here for the next year.. Could there be a benefit of staying overnight in the field (obviously on private if public isn't legal) to create a higher chance of success during archery? Or are the deer just everywhere? Will try to whack a pig or two on Oahu in the meantime..