DIY Hunting Knife Build

I just finished up this knife build. First time I’ve made a knife, knife blade, and sheath. I got the leaf spring from a mechanic’s scrap bin and I cut the walnut for the handle and had it milled years ago. Kinda started it on a whim, this spring, we were having work done on our cars and I thought “now would be the time to get a free leaf spring.” The handle wood is from the piece I used on my longbow. This is the first leg in a long journey of DIY projects. I’m planning on building a bow, arrows, and broadheads from scratch. Then killing a deer with it, obviously gutting it with this. I’ll be working on these over the next year. Subscribe to follow along if it sounds interesting to you. Knife Video

Attachments

• E7712036-C85F-400A-9040-8E960996ED96.jpeg
    E7712036-C85F-400A-9040-8E960996ED96.jpeg
    939 KB · Views: 173

WoodBow

WKR
I have walked the very path you wish to go down. I needed to do things the hard way for a long time for some reason. I got most of that out of my system.

I built several bows, built strings, made knives, made everything from cane to carbon arrows, made hafted in points and screw in broadheads, made bow quivers and back quivers.

Good luck on your journey.
5725265d1fd034f0fef079f8011eaf27.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
C
I have walked the very path you wish to go down. I needed to do things the hard way for a long time for some reason. I got most of that out of my system.

I built several bows, built strings, made knives, made everything from cane to carbon arrows, made hafted in points and screw in broadheads, made bow quivers and back quivers.

Good luck on your journey.
5725265d1fd034f0fef079f8011eaf27.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
That's pretty cool.

Nice knife. What kind of heat treating did you do? Furnace, Kiln or other. I have a diy kiln I use to HT my diy knives. It has been probably a year since I've made one. I need to get back into it. Might try to make some chef style knives for xmas presents.

OP
C
Nice knife. What kind of heat treating did you do? Furnace, Kiln or other. I have a diy kiln I use to HT my diy knives. It has been probably a year since I've made one. I need to get back into it. Might try to make some chef style knives for xmas presents.
I used the hair dryer forge to soften, heat/quench and the oven for annealing.

Congratulations. I make knives as a hobby and using one you made yourself is really cool to me. I also like gifting them to friends/family.