DIY Hydro-dip

On Saturday I hydro-dipped my shotgun, and am very happy with the results, especially since it's the first time I've ever attempted this. After the dip, I let it dry 24 hours, and then put a clear coat of Brownell's Aluma-hyde 2 finish on it, let that sit 24 hours, and assembled the gun. I purchased all of the supplies needed to complete approximately 4 firearms, and it cost me $46. Anybody else done this? Let me know what you think.

A stock photo, but pretty much what my gun looked like prior to the dip.
model1400_zpsfac8e44a.jpg

After the dip
DSCN4130_zpsc02545fb.jpg

DSCN4127_zps7d8ec84f.jpg

DSCN4133_zpse7909544.jpg

DSCN4132_zpsb96b8b05.jpg

OP
couesbitten
Suprisingly easy, lot's of videos on youtube, and the company we bought our supplies from provided a short DVD as well. You can buy a little more film than you actually need, and then perform a couple of practice dips on scrap items, pop can, whatever. If you screw something up, just repaint with your base coat and start over. Everything on my gun that is tan, is clear sections in the film, allowing the base coat to show through, could have been any color I wanted.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Where did you get the supplies? That turned out great! I can see myself doing that to a few weapons as well!

400out

FNG
looks good bud! You want to do my shot gun? lets see 46/4 = hell ill make it a even $13 ;-)