DIY instant coffee?

If I had to guess, by feel, I'd do an honest teaspoon ish (I know, super scientific unit of measurement) per drink. Pending the what I'm drinking out of, what my night was like previously, and what my day holds

Charkan72

FNG
Cafe Bustelo from the grocery store. Nescafé if I can’t find my first choice. Lol I am cheap and not picky. As long as it is hot and black

Love seeing all my fellow coffee guys and girls!

Exo Mtn put out a great article on DIY pour over bags. It's linked here if you haven't checked it out. (It does mirror alot of the great suggestions here).

I don't like the pour over bags personally, so buy a tub of Trade Joes (taste preference over Folgers or similar) instant for $3.00. It's 100g. 4g makes about 1 solid cup of morning coffee for the mountain and you can squeeze out about 20-25 bags from that tub.

True, you do have time invested (wasted?), but blowing through 30-40 Via's in a season started to get pricey...

Lytro

WKR
Have any of y'all made your own instant coffee like the Starbucks via/BRCC pouches?

It seems like you could just pulverize beans with a blade grinder...

Just curious if there was more to it.
I worked in a processing factory for a year out of college and made instant coffee a handful of times. It was only roasted coffee beans sent through a milling machine that refined the beans into a powder. Whether or not you could get it fine enough to completely dissolve would likely be the only issue.

Have any of y'all made your own instant coffee like the Starbucks via/BRCC pouches?

It seems like you could just pulverize beans with a blade grinder...

Just curious if there was more to it.

You're very close to how its done

Get your coffee ground to "turkish grind" which is the finest grind you can do with a burr grinder. The coffee beans essentially become a fine powder. Almost like cinnamon

Take the turkish grind and stir 1 tablespoon into 10oz of 190* water . Stir casually for about a min. Let the grinds settle to bottom and drink OR let the grinds and settle and transfer the coffee to another cup and add your milk.

If you don't do the cup transfer, you'll mix the grinds back in . Something about hte milk suspends the coffee grinds and doesn't let them settle

Ok, let's do this
View attachment 453044
Traditionally, all would be done in the red pot (bosnian dzugem (jew-gum, pronunciation, IDK on spelling).

Depending on how many pots you use, let's pretend it's the camping case. Get some water boiling and coffee ready.

(Top to bottom) a scoop of bosnian coffee, I do 3 scoops into the red pot.

Reg coffee ground left, bosnian right.

Bosnian coffee (light brown) mixed amongst reg ground (dark)

So now we have water boiling and will introduce the grounds. Whether that's pour ground into water (stir it if you do) or pour water into grounds (no stir needed).

It's important you leave room in the head of the vessel for it to foam and rise. You'll foam and rise it a few times. Think of it like a rinse-lather-repeat for a good frothy rich coffee.

You can tell by the ground it's not a 'dark' coffee, but it's a heavy coffee. About what I'd say as regular American light cup is to skim milk, what whole milk is to bosnian, maybe whole plus. It's thick since the ground is a suspension of sorts.

I imagine this is what cascadia makes. I enjoy this, but it's a tradition thing in this house.

Well thats hella more detailed than what I typed hahahahahaha

Glad to know I'm not the only coffee nerd here

not saying the op, but some people have a hard time with "boil the water, pour into the coffee in a second vessel, foam it a few times, serve" like its too hard.

its a rich and frothy coffee over being a strong-dark coffee, and they presume it to be strong dark coffee or think theyll be chewing grounds.

learnt from thy wife and her family (bosnian)

when youre ready to step your game up on jerky/dried beef..ill teach ya more on suho mesa

ps. you a p4x4/i4x4 member? recognize the name...

OP
displacedtexan
You're very close to how its done

Get your coffee ground to "turkish grind" which is the finest grind you can do with a burr grinder. The coffee beans essentially become a fine powder. Almost like cinnamon

Take the turkish grind and stir 1 tablespoon into 10oz of 190* water . Stir casually for about a min. Let the grinds settle to bottom and drink OR let the grinds and settle and transfer the coffee to another cup and add your milk.

If you don't do the cup transfer, you'll mix the grinds back in . Something about hte milk suspends the coffee grinds and doesn't let them settle
I grind them in the kitchen. Lol I don't even think the coffee shop where I buy my beans will grind them for you.

I decided that I'll just take a hand grinder and French press for this trip.

But I'll definitely be playing with Turkish coffee in the near future!

yeah MAN!!!!.. PBB died with COVID so I've been posting here
yup, went from p4x4 (icirca 05) to irate when austin made it live. earned a 1 year ban few months back (wheres my filipoff/headshaking emoji) for calling out a nutswinger outta the park. long story, was worth it. ill be back there to rile trampy up when its up. aint the same these days.

ive noticed that the tolerance for shenanigans is: old p4x4-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------i4x4--rokslide------liberal college campus

edit: if youre on i4x4, swing into the cooking section, i think i had a suho mesa/pastirma post there

Clarktar

WKR
Whoa..$44 for 20 servings? Or $60 ish for 100g of coffee?

Run to wallyworld site, search bosnian. $25/500g. Made the same, finely ground, be hard pressed to believe cascadia is that much better than the OG in that realm when made right (mix, boil, foam a few times, serve sit sip shit.)

I'll give it a whirl, what the heck
will buy some bosnian coffee to try. But, buying green beans and roasting is still less expensive.

But, bosnian is much less expensive then the casade roasters instant I was pimping.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Bdeboer29

FNG
I used to do the freeze dry coffee but have since gone to the pour over setup and would highly recommend. I use the GSI Rocket and pair it with the GSI mug. The Rocket fits inside the mug and the weight is minimal to me. I pre grind my favorite coffee and bring it in a thick ziploc bag. No packaging trash and just dump the grounds out of the metal filter when its done. I get to drink the same cup of coffee on the mountain as I do in my kitchen at home.

davs2601

FNG
I used to do the freeze dry coffee but have since gone to the pour over setup and would highly recommend. I use the GSI Rocket and pair it with the GSI mug. The Rocket fits inside the mug and the weight is minimal to me. I pre grind my favorite coffee and bring it in a thick ziploc bag. No packaging trash and just dump the grounds out of the metal filter when its done. I get to drink the same cup of coffee on the mountain as I do in my kitchen at home.
I have and use the same and even take it on vacation. Its a great coffee maker for the campsite or for traveling