DIY iPhone Digiscoping Mount

Gman

WKR
One of the things I always have with me in the backcountry is my iPhone. And now with the increase of live hunts and posting from the field I wanted to create my own digiscope mount for my Swaro ATM 65 20x60 spotter.

I had previously purchased a Tines up adapter for my 3/4 DSLR Sony camera -- which will still work and takes good pics through the scope. So using that adapter as the starting point I ordered a cheap iPhone 5 case off of eBay ($5 shipped). I have a 5 on order but tested this with a 4S - and if you have a 4S I'd stil get the 5 case. The phones are exactly the same width and the 5 is just a littler longer. The gap in the case didn't seem to affect performance with the 4S and it makes it easier to pry the phone out when done.

I also purchased a step up ring to match my Tines up adapter. In this case I needed a stet-up to a 49mm. I didn't care what I was stepping from as I actually used a grinder to take off those male threads and make the ring flush for easy attachment to te case.

Step up was $3.33 shipped (eBay or Amazon, it all gets cloudy). So for a total of $8.33 (not including the $70 Tines up adapter!) I had all my materials. I've already begun thinking of how to replace the tines up adapter (if you don't already have one and want to save $70) and I think you could do it easily with a camera sun shade (those little plastic shades for lenses that come with cameras) or even a plastic cup and some electrical tape.

I started by grinding down the step up ring and then taping it all together to do a test to see if this would even work. Tests were successful so I went to assembly stage:

The proto-type all held together with duct tape:

DSC00721.jpg

DSC00723.jpg

The finished product. I used epoxy to adhere the stepup ring to the case. The Tines adapter screws on and off easily. I also has some gaps or holes from the step up ring (visible in the prototype pics) and where there was no case. I took black electical tape and covered any areas where light could get in and cause problems. Then I epoxied over that to create a plastic like covering and add durability. I also slathered epoxy all around the step up ring and case contact points for extra durability.

DSC00725.jpg

DSC00724.jpg

Here's an unedited test photo at 60x. This house is about 1000yrds away on a grey and dreary and rainy day -- I think this just may work.

I have a Pronghorn hunt late next week and then a CO Mtn Goat hunt the week after that. Hoping to show plenty of real animal examples then!

house close.jpg

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pretty nice....i saw an iPhone adaptor in a magazine the other day. The new phones take such good pictures these days an adaptor will be nice.

akrdkill

WKR
Just got one from eagle optics to fit kowa & Swarovski Looks solid. Haven't tried it yet Saw one in cabelas too

Have you tried the KOWA one yet? Can anyone post some more photos!? I think this is the best route to go, no need to bring an Iphone and my Tines Up adapter/camera along with ANOTHER higher quality camera! Looks like this could work really well, just would like to see some more photos to be sure... Anyone have any?

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm ordering a phoneskope adapter here soon and will let you know how I like it. I talked my friend into being the Guinea pig, if he likes it, I'm going to order one. They look slick, I have been wanting to do what you did for a long time jus haven't got around to it.

Hardstalk

WKR
Ya i built a i phone digi mount with a solar charging case. They are tough to perfect. The lens of the iphone has to stay as close as possible to the spotter lenseImageUploadedByTapatalk1349793756.227682.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1349793782.292037.jpg note the thickness of the case. I think you have to start with a small thin case to have easier use. And the pvc shim didnt help but with that particular case i had to level up the cup to align phone and spotter. The objective on the iphone cam is so small its kind of tedious but a fun afternoon project. I think meopta nailed it. They come in a bit lighter also.