DIY Kentucky Archery Elk Tag, Unit 4

I was lucky enough to draw an Either Sex Archery Tag for Unit 4 in Kentucky this fall. I have done a lot of research on forums, ONX and talked to KDFW members. Definitely concerned with the lack of public land and the alleged pressure applied by outfitters on public land ahead of the season to push them onto private. I'm 100% committed to DIY. I'm hoping to find some previous tag holders in this unit that can share some information or locals with access to private land. Thank you in advance.

Congratulations! That's a hard tag to draw as a NR. I've never been to Kentucky so I can't help you there. Hopefully someone on here can help you out. I respect the DIY approach, that's as fulfilling as it gets. Persistence will fill your tag and good luck on your hunt!

kentuckybowman

Lil-Rokslider
I would ask the biologist and game warden what private has the most elk on it and try to do a trespass fee of some kind. The harvest stats are not kind to public land hunters trying to kill a bull over 300.

OP
TheWildJim
I would ask the biologist and game warden what private has the most elk on it and try to do a trespass fee of some kind. The harvest stats are not kind to public land hunters trying to kill a bull over 300.
What type of private land usually offers trespass fees? I would assume coal mines. Do you know if there are many elk in the Daniel Boone National forest in unit 4? I have called KDFR and they offer some help, but not a ton. I had my hopes set high when this tag was drawn, but the more research I do, the more it seem like a bull is going to be tough in general.

OP
TheWildJim
Congratulations! That's a hard tag to draw as a NR. I've never been to Kentucky so I can't help you there. Hopefully someone on here can help you out. I respect the DIY approach, that's as fulfilling as it gets. Persistence will fill your tag and good luck on your hunt!
Thank you! Yes, I am hopeful to receive some more info on this forum to aid in being successful as a DIY! I have been part of a handful of DIY elk hunts out west but this is a very different hunt.

kentuckybowman

Lil-Rokslider
What type of private land usually offers trespass fees? I would assume coal mines. Do you know if there are many elk in the Daniel Boone National forest in unit 4? I have called KDFR and they offer some help, but not a ton. I had my hopes set high when this tag was drawn, but the more research I do, the more it seem like a bull is going to be tough in general.
I don't know that is why I suggested calling the game warden and the biologist. I just examined the harvest statistics and private is where it is at.

OP
TheWildJim
I don't know that is why I suggested calling the game warden and the biologist. I just examined the harvest statistics and private is where it is at.
I have been trying to get access to some private land so far with no luck yet, but will continue trying.