DIY Kifaru Fulcrum

mereside

FNG
Hi everyone, not been able to do any diy mods for quite some time, my wife Sarah has been undergoing chemo but we have the all clear finally and now can get back to some kind of normality.
I had some material for a pack build and after reading through @doncarpenter thread I started this morning on my build, I am using material from ripstop by the roll 2.2oz hex 70 in dark olive and also coyote brown, here's this mornings work, I have not seen one in the flesh so all my own measurements and I think I will have the wings detachable, I think also that the water pouch is going to be external and as will be the meat compartment will fit direct to the rear of the frame, regards wayne.

Marking out the front panel sections
cJPMYDU.jpg

Folding the hem for the zipper
SQZCzy1.jpg

Ready for the thread injecting
TlGUK80.jpg

looking nice with my stitch lines
uuYt8JS.jpg

Happy with that
AGtFY0S.jpg

Last edited:
OP
mereside

mereside

FNG
Now were taking shape here's the bottom panel in coyote brown, its slippery so I tape the webbing inline and clip as I go so it all aligns up perfect
The first stitch goes down perfect
pox1MoC.jpg

and then fold for the flat felled seam and this is as far as I have got today, I now will look at the back panel and water compartment and then onto the side pouches but so far so good, regards wayne.
mwSwrjG.jpg

Looks great! Your stitch lines are very neat. I have never been able to get them very straight. I will be experimenting with a magnetic guide to help with that.

What machine are you using?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

OP
mereside

mereside

FNG
@doncarpenter I use one of them magnetic edges works a treat, my machines an old 1940's singer 96k49 industrial, she's a bit beat up but goes through webbing and leather like butter, I keep meaning to upgrade to a new servo motor for silent and really slow running but haven't yet,
tqOnkMT.jpg

The wings and base are now cut ready for zips so I will have to start the back whilst waiting for them to arrive, regards wayne
tN1CIrf.jpg

OP
mereside

mereside

FNG
Curious to see how well that material does and what it weighs. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks, I think it will be strong enough I know it’s used for packs so I will be interested too👍, regards Wayne

OP
mereside

mereside

FNG
zips came this morning so started putting the wings together, still waiting on the grossgrain and 1.5" webbing so can only go so far but you get the idea, shaping up nicely, regards wayne.
3aJ5Que.jpg

just the base to go on now and fit up
L4U0zjk.jpg

Last edited:
@doncarpenter I use one of them magnetic edges works a treat, my machines an old 1940's singer 96k49 industrial, she's a bit beat up but goes through webbing and leather like butter, I keep meaning to upgrade to a new servo motor for silent and really slow running but haven't yet,
tqOnkMT.jpg

The wings and base are now cut ready for zips so I will have to start the back whilst waiting for them to arrive, regards wayne
tN1CIrf.jpg
Great work, and beautiful machine!!!

OP
mereside

mereside

FNG
Both wing fronts all done so doing what I can till the 1.5" webbing turns up
rAetVT7.jpg

AnrItbf.jpg

cD95suO.jpg

I will start the rear panel now so won't be much longer, after thinking about things I think I will have elastic in the portion of the rear bag top so it scrunches up so the flap folds over it, I feel I want to make a clip on lid and the meat shelf will fit direct to the frame so its separate from the main bag. regards wayne

OP
mereside

mereside

FNG
Back done I used cordura for the sleeve that fits the frame, just stuck waiting for webbing, on the home straight now.
8jIOu5y.jpg

nCi4rYU.jpg

OP
mereside

mereside

FNG
Main bag setting out
VZ4OdZ2.jpg

The stitch up
r2wmy4t.jpg

just a quick check before edging and fitting the bottom
6LEGill.jpg

Pretty happy with that
0w8CHNU.jpg

AV5Y9SQ.jpg

Last edited:
OP
mereside

mereside

FNG
base is done now so I loaded it up with only the top frame attachment and belt loop attachment, I wanted to load up the stitching and material to see how it copes, I don't have an issue at all very happy with the way it feels, hangs and copes with the load, the bottom buckles I have done so the webbing will support then follow up to the lid webbing and tie in so the whole base and front is fully supported which can only help, I just have to finish the top hem with elastic and make the guide lid, regards wayne.
AaXpOVu.jpg

fbx8z08.jpg

iEBEIU1.jpg

OP
mereside

mereside

FNG
Here's the pack with all buckles and straps on, the two top clips are not attached I run out of milspec grosgrain to hem the top so need that before completion but a very nice project can't wait to get using it, regards wayne.
Total weight including the frame 4.2LB.
MOERJzj.jpg

l3xpcSO.jpg